[P2] Chapter 53

Erik POV

I probably should have called Nadir and told him I left early, but I'm sure after a good amount of time of sitting in an empty classroom waiting for me to show up, my students would get the message and leave. I had more important matters to deal with.

I drove as fast as I could to the De Chagny residence and parked outside. I took a deep breath before taking out my check book. Sending him away would be a dream. I was so worried and frustrated that his presence here would ruin everything in my life and now I don't have to think about it anymore.

Even though I was excited to go and send him on his merry way, full of ridiculous dreams, I was feeling indifferent. I didn't want to speak to him, or even see him. I also knew that the moment he left, Christine and Phoebe would be heartbroken. Phoebe because Philippe is her son, and Christine because she sees him as a friend.

But I reminded myself that he would only hurt Phoebe and Christine, and the last thing I wanted was for Christine and Philippe to go off and elope. Terrible thoughts of the two of them together flooded my mind, and that alone encouraged me to get out of my car and knock on his front door.

It was quiet, but soon I heard someone approaching from the other side. Luckily for me, Philippe was the one to open the door. The moment he saw me, I could see the anger and disgust in his eyes, "The hell do you want? You come here to tell me Christine is my long lost sister?"

I ignored him, I had no time to deal with his childish antics, "I've come to give you something."

He rolled his eyes, "What makes you think I want anything from you? Actually, there is something I want. Get that blue tang to stop calling me! I don't want anything to do with either of you!"

"Spoken like a true child. What Christine sees in you, I'll never know."

He cleared his throat, "Uh...'What Christine sees in me'? Why would you say that, did she say something about me or...?"

Ignoring him and his disgusting teenage hormones, I shoved the check into his hand, "Your wish has been granted, take it and leave."

He had no time to register the slip of paper. I turned around and headed back to my car. But his pathetic voice stopped me in my tracks, "Hold up!" He shouted, "This is a $30,000 check."

I turned around, "Oh, good, you can read."

He narrowed his eyes, "Why are you giving me this? Catching up on all the child support you missed?"

"In case you haven't noticed," I started, "I don't like you. I don't appreciate you being here, and for some reason, Capella wants nothing more than to be with you." I narrowed my eyes right back at him, "But I will not deny who I am to you. I believe that going to New York and fulfilling your desires there is what is best for you."

He eyed me, "How did you know...?"

"Staying here is doing you no good. You want to leave, that's obvious. Here is your chance."

I turned my heel once more and went back to my car. But the boy was relentless.

"What's the catch?" He demanded, "I go to the bank and they arrest me for fraud, right? This is some scam. You hate me, you've made that pretty clear, so why go and do this?"

"What does that matter? Just take the damn money."

"No. It does matter, I need to know why."

I shook my head, and conjured up a lie, "Because I'm a terrible person who has done terrible things, and maybe I could do right by you."