[P1]Chapter 36

Christine POV:

Meg was sick in bed today. I felt bad, I hardly knew what to do. She had to miss out from dance class for the second time, and normally she would just push through not matter what to get there. She hated missing it.

Today was a big day for me, well, even bigger for Phoebe. I've agreed to go with her to go back to the house she grew up in to see if her father knows anything about her child. I think it might be a long shot if he was still even living there, but at this point, we need to start somewhere.

Speaking of Phoebe, I was watching her get out of Porter's car and make her way up to my front door. I opened it before she could knock, and she had a big smile on her face, "You ready to go?"

I looked over her shoulder and saw that Porter was waving goodbye, then drove away, "He didn't want to come?"

She shook her head, "He has too much work on his plate," she waved it off, "He's boring anyway, this is a girl's day out." She laughed.

I laughed along too, "All right, come in, I just need to grab my bag and—"

The house phone started to ring. Phoebe casually walked over to it as if she owned the place, "Christine's home, Phoebe speaking."

I rolled my eyes playfully as I watched her brows furrow. "Who is it?" I asked.

"She's not here right now. She's getting her bag—" Phoebe looked up and saw me, "Oh wait, never mind she's right here."

"Who is it?" I asked again, walking closer to her.

"We're creating a porno." She said.

My eyes widened as I reached out for the phone in a panic, "Phoebe! Give me the phone!"

She dodged me, very skillfully by the way, and continued to speak, "Ugh, you're so annoying, man, we're going to my dad's house to find my daughter. Didn't I tell you this?"

"Phoebe!" I chased her.

"Can you hold on for a second?" she asked into the phone, then placed her hand over it, "Christine, please, I'm on the phone—"

I snatched it from her hand in her moment of weakness and sighed in relief, "Hello?"

"Christine." I immediately recognized the voice.

"Erik? Oh, hi...Uh, how...how are things?"

He sighed, "What's going on?" he suddenly sounded frantic, "You're not really going to her father's home, are you?"

I rolled my eyes, then covered the phone, "Phoebe, I thought you didn't want Erik knowing about our trip today?"

She placed her hand on her head, "That's Erik? Oh, I thought he was my drug dealer."

I let out a long exhale before bringing the phone back to my ear, "Erik, can you hold on for a second-?"

"No. Give the phone back to Phoebe, Christine."

I sighed. Defeated, I handed Phoebe the phone, but quickly covering it with my hand, "If he asks where we are going, tell him...we're going to get brunch."

Phoebe nodded, suddenly looking fearful as she took the phone.

I watched her gulp and look at the floor, then to me for guidance. I could hear Erik's loud voice on the other end now that I was standing closer to her. "Where are you two going?" I could sense that he was straining to stay calm on his end.

"I'm uh...I'm eating Christine with brunch."

I shook my head, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Capella-"