[P1] Chapter 8

Tuesday

I walked into class a little bit earlier today, determined to give him back the money. I saw him standing in front of his desk, moving around papers and flipping through some of them. I cleared my throat and his head turned to face me, "Miss Daae." he greeted.

I took a deep breath and walked over towards him, exhaling a little, trying to keep my heart beat on track, "You uh..." I quickly pulled out the hundred from my bag, "You gave me this by mistake."

He looked down at the hundred dollar bill in my hands and turned away, back to his work, "That was no mistake."

I gripped the bill in my hand, finally understanding what he was doing. Now that I think about it, I knew this couldn't be a mistake. I know what he was thinking, and I don't like it one bit, "I don't like to be pitied, Mr. Destler." he looked back at me, "I can't accept this."

"I'm not pitying you." he said simply, "That was a fantastic cup of coffee." he smirked.

I rolled my eyes, "I cannot accept this." I repeated, "Take it back." I begged, "I'll even say please."

The bell rang, "Students need to be in their seats when the bell rings." he stated.

I glared at him, "Don't change the subject. Take it." I extended my arm.

"Don't make a scene." he warned.

"Don't make me have to." I threatened.

"Take. A. Seat." he ordered, his low and full of warning.

Defeated, I sighed and turned to my seat, hobbling over towards it. I sat down, followed quickly by Raoul and Meg who had missed the argument I just had with my favorite music teacher.

It felt as if we've been in here for hours, but we've literally only been in here for about twenty minutes. That's how school worked I guess. I attempted to pay attention but I started to get bored. Music is my favorite subject, but Mr. Destler was talking about the history of all this crap I couldn't focus.

"Why aren't you all copying this down?" he suddenly yelled, making most of us jump in our seats.

I rummaged through my bag when suddenly Raoul leaned over to me and placed his hand on my knee to get my attention, my dress edged up a bit, "Hey Chris, can I borrow a pen?"

His fingers were warm, it felt nice, "Yeah." I gave a smirk, "Can't ever remember your things?"

He laughed, his hand sliding a little higher on my leg, "I guess so—"

"Mr. De Chagny?" Mr. Destler yelled.

Raoul shot his eyes over to him, "Yes s-sir?"

"May you please take your hand off of Miss Daaé?" Raoul looked at his hand on my thigh and quickly removed it, "Now enlighten me of what was so important to tell Miss Daaé?"

"I needed to uh, borrow a pen."

Mr. Destler nodded, "Go now." He said.

"What?"

"I do not accept unprepared students. Go now!" He repeated.

Raoul scoffed and grabbed his back pack. I watched him leave and Mr. Destler continued with the lesson.

Hours and hours went on by...well, really another forty minutes.

He walked around the room as he spoke to us. I was still mad at him for not taking the money back, and I was planning on what I would say to him later when I try to convince him to take it back again. But what was the point? He wouldn't take it back...and I don't need him yelling at me right now.