[P1] Chapter 10

Friday

Christine POV:

TGIF...literally. It's only a two day weekend, but at this point I'll take anything. Things were going pretty good. Mr. Destler and I were on better terms, and Raoul and I are officially together, but of course things had to go sideways.

I blame Mr. Destler.

It always comes down to him. I have been blaming myself, but at this point I think it is honestly him. What am I doing wrong? Nothing! Normal teenagers skip daily, but I ditch one day and it's the end of the world. I wish I could say that he will stop intimidating me, but at this point I think that won't be possible.

School seemed to go by so fast, but of course his class always took two years. When I walked in today, he wouldn't look at me at all. Something inside me wanted to wave my arms around or something to get his attention. I was always so used to his intimidating gaze pushing down on me, but it was as if he refused to even turn in my direction.

"Giudicelli."

He called on Carlotta. I felt a pang in my stomach. Why was he calling on her? He normally calls on me! I sat up in my seat, my foot twitching erratically.

She was sitting upright in her seat with perfect posture, she eyed him, "Yes?"

"Do you remember now how many acts there are in Faust?" he asked her the question he asked a while back. Previously she said 'two', but I'm sure she would know the answer now.

"Five." She said proudly. She is so fake! He asked her that question before and she got it wrong, but now she's acting like this is her first time and she got it right!

"Very good."

My fists clenched.

Suddenly someone's hand covered mine. I looked next to me and remembered Raoul was sitting there, "You okay?" he whispered.

I nodded, taking my hand from under his and locking our fingers together. I looked back at Mr. Destler who had his back to us, looking through papers on the piano. I swear, it was as if he was purposely putting his back to me. Like he was trying not to look at me.

Why wasn't he looking at me?

I moved uneasy in my seat, causing Raoul to rub circles on my palm with his thumb. He could tell something was wrong, but I couldn't tell him what was wrong because even I don't know. Why was Mr. Destler having such and effect on me? I couldn't explain to Raoul what was happening.

"Who can tell me what type of play Faust was?"

My hand shot up Hermione-Granger style. I'll make him see me, alright.

He eyed the class, no one had their hand up but me. Why wasn't he calling on me? You have got to be kidding me!

He moved around the room, then pointed at Arron again, "You." I lifted my arm so high in the air it was as if I was trying to dislocate it.

He shrugged, "Ask Christine." Everyone in the class laughed.

"Out."

Arron sat upright in his chair, "I'm sorry-"

"GO NOW!" he shouted, his voice echoing through the room.

Arron scrambled out of his seat and grabbed his bag as he ran, some pencils falling from the bag as he ran but he didn't dare to go back for them.

My hand was still in the air. I was glaring at him and sending rude swear words at him through my mind, hoping he could somehow hear them. But he completely ignored me.