#9: Q&A

Merlyn and Vanessa walked into Saul's Shop, looking around at all of the objects for sale. Looking at a jar full of toes, Vanessa asked, "What would anyone need these for?"

"Human toes used to be real big," Merlyn explained absent-mindedly. "They possess a rare aura to them you can't find many other places, used to be a critical ingredient to alchemists. Then they discovered the same properties in a special red onion that was discovered in Mongolia."

"So toes are out."

"Very out."

"Welcome back, peanut," Saul's deep voice said, causing the two agents to turn around to see their host, dressed in a leather jacket and stained t-shirt.

"Saul," Merlyn greeted stoically. "I have some questions."

"Go for it, Alistair."

Merlyn rubbed his bearded chin. "What do you know about magical staffs?"

"Magical staffs?" Saul said, taking a puff on his cigar. "I mean, I don't get too many through here, if we're being honest. Magical staffs are rare and often very particular."

"Very particular?" Vanessa asked. "In what way?"

"All magical conduits are," Saul said. "See, most mages can cast spells, no problem. But weaker mages or mages in training tend to use a conduit to help channel that power. Makes it easier."

"They can also be used by stronger mages," Merlyn added. "They really just make magic easier to channel, if that makes sense. The Veil responds easier to a conduit. Using one makes crafting more precise magic possible."

"Okay, but how does a conduit become 'particular'," Vanessa asked.

"Well, sometimes they disappear," Saul said. "I've had staffs here that'll just disappear. They're tricky to keep, they like to move around."

"How? Why?"

Saul shrugged. "Don't ask me."

"There's a number of theories," Merlyn said. "I've heard of the phenomenon before, actually. The Department of Magical Artifacts have done many investigations into it with no solid answers. But I'm not just here to discuss conduits, Saul. When was the last time you had a magical staff here?"

"Not that long ago, actually," Saul said. "Not even six weeks ago."

Merlyn frowned. "And it disappeared?"

"Well, yeah," Saul said. "Actually, it's funny. I had a break-in and couldn't find the damn thing anywhere, and I thought for sure someone had stolen it. But then it turned up in the back."

"Wait, what did the thief take?"

Now Saul was frowning. "I'm not sure, actually. I did inventory and didn't find anything missing."

"What did the staff look like?" Vanessa asked.

"Eh, nothing too special. It was wooden, but black as tar. At the top it kind of twisted into a weird shape and had a regulation crystal at the top."

"Sounds like our magical staff alright," Vanessa muttered. "And you have this staff now?"

"No," Saul said. "It ended up going away shortly afterwards."

"Saul, I'm worried that someone stole that staff," Merlyn said. "Do you remember physically touching the staff once you found it?"

"No, I don't," Saul grumbled. "Was it some spell?"

"I fear it may have been so," Merlyn said. "I don't know if it's an illusion you saw or if they manipulated the staff into finding them after it disappeared. But if they broke in here it was for a reason. This is not an ordinary shop to rob."