Big Secret

Maddie was hiding something. Joker was sure of it.

It all started when he brought Harley home for the first time. He'd just recently broken out and turned her to his view of things, and ever since he introduced them, Maddie has been acting weird.

When he told Madeline about what he'd done to the woman, she'd seemed eager to see the chaos he'd created in her. But when he finally showcased Harley, Maddie did not at all react like he'd expected her to. Joker assumed that she would be giddy about how obedient and dependent the psycho was—she would remain polite to her face of course—and then applaud his hard work. But instead, it was like she clammed up.

Maddie was still polite to the woman, but couldn't seem to process that she was there or how they were supposed to interact. One good long look at her the first time and she was actively avoiding the clown woman ever since.

She had never behaved that shyly before, always very assertive with the goons and her father figures. Even amongst the other super villains she'd remained firm and strong. She clearly knew how to and was comfortable talking to women, given her relationships with Ivy and Selina, but for some reason she wasn't translating it to Harley.

And maybe Joker wouldn't be so bothered by it if Harley weren't constantly whining about it, but that's besides the point. It only took her to draw his attention to the issue. Since then, he'd been noticing things on his own.

Like, when Harley entered a room, Maddie left it as quickly and discretely as she could.

And when Harley tried to initiate conversation, Maddie would blush and say that she needed to be somewhere else.

If it were just some routine shyness, J would let the two women work it out on their own, but the situation had moved past that. Since Maddie was avoiding Harley, and Harley was spending more and more time with Joker (in and out of the bedroom), that meant that Maddie started to avoid her father, realizing that Harley may not be far behind. Joker wasn't oblivious enough to not realize when something was wrong.

Clearly, what Maddie was experiencing was more than feeling shy and unsure around Harley if she was going to such great lengths to avoid interaction.

After bringing it up with Frost, the henchman suggested that Maddie could feel intimidated or replaced by Harley. Before Harley arrived, Madeline was Joker's number one girl, and now that's changed. Joker realized that Maddie could easily feel resentful of the woman because of that. Or possibly because she thought Joker was trying to replace her mother.

He decided that it would be best to address the situation as soon as possible. Harley would be going out to oversee a scouting mission for him that evening, and J resolved to figure out was wrong with Maddie in the meantime.

When Joker came into her room, she was performing a basic google search on her laptop. Maddie slammed the lid shut as he entered, the words how do you tell your dad that you're flashing in the search bar.

"Look, princess, I think we need to talk," Joker said as he shut the door.

"About what?" Maddie asked, heart pounding.

"Well," he started, crossing the room to sit beside her on the bed. "We need to talk about why you're avoiding Harley. I know how you feel about her—"

"You do?" Maddie interrupted, brows furrowed.

"Yes, but that doesn't mean you can be as rude to her as you have been. Not talking to her isn't going to make her go away. You both are very important to me, and I need to know that you both can get along," Joker declared. "I know having her here intimidates you, but I want you to know that I didn't bring her here to replace you or your mother."

"What?" Madeline exclaimed. "I don't think that! I know you'd never try to replace me, I'm your daughter! I haven't been avoiding Harley because I resent her. Really it's quite the opposite."

Shit. She hadn't meant to let that slip.

"Oh?" Joker asked, at a total loss. "So why have you been avoiding her?"

Maddie squirmed in her seat, not at all ready to confess her biggest secret to her father. She had no idea how he would react, and that was terrifying. She knew that one day she would have to tell him, but right now she didn't even know where to start!

Now Joker was really curious. He had no idea what she was hiding, but it seemed very important if her hesitation to reveal it was anything to go by. He was also slightly hurt that she didn't trust him enough with the information.

"Listen, sweetheart. You know I'm not going to force you to answer, but I want you to know that you can trust me. No matter what it is, I'm not going to be mad, and I'm not going to love you any less," J soothed.

Maybe I should just come out and say it, Maddie thought, chewing her lip.

"I don't really know how to say it," she confessed.

"Just tell me. Don't sugarcoat anything," Joker ordered.

"Alright," she sighed. "Dad, I'm gay."

Joker's brain short circuited a little. "You're happy?"

"No, Dad!" Madeline shouted. "I'm a lesbian, alright? I don't find men attractive and the reason I keep avoiding Harley is because she's hot as fuck and I have a massive crush on her!"

With that, Maddie threw herself face first into the pillow, hiding her shame.

Joker couldn't fully process what just happened. He was vastly unprepared for this conversation to occur. Not that he thought any less of his daughter for being gay, but that was not at all what he was expecting her to confess. He was completely taken aback, and a little concerned that he never noticed anything before. I'm the worst fucking father ever.

"How long have you known?" Joker asked, tracing patterns on her bedsheets.

"Since I was 14," Maddie mumbled into her pillow. "I talked to my aunts about the weird feelings I was having and they kind of explained what it all meant."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Joker wondered, feeling hurt.

"I didn't think you'd understand, or that you wouldn't wanna talk about it. We never really talk about feelings or any of that," Maddie defended, sitting up.

"Even so, I want you to know that I'm happy to help you work through stuff like that if you want me to," J said.

"So you're not upset? Or disappointed?" Maddie asked.

"Why would I be? You can't control how you feel. And I just want you to be happy," Joker replied. "And besides, now we can go look at hot chicks together!"

"But what about Harley?" Maddie wanted to know, wiping away tears.

"If her being here makes you uncomfortable, I can kick her out," Joker offered. "But she's my kinda-sorta-girlfriend so you can't be with her. I'm sure you'll get over it in no time, especially if you start spending time with Harley. Between you and me, she's not as bright as her voice is, and she can be really fucking annoying."

Maddie giggled at that, and Joker smiled, leaning over to give her a tight hug. "You're still the only person I'll say I love you to, and that's not gonna change no matter what your dumb ass decides to do."

She scowled playfully at his teasing but stayed in his comforting hold, basking in his affection. Maddie didn't receive it all that often, and after such a heart pounding experience she needed the comfort. But she couldn't be happier with her dad's reaction, and knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that he'd meant every word of what he said. Everything was going to be just fine.