Twenty-One

Missing something, Joker?
A little girl perhaps?
Don't you worry, clown.
Every bit of her is intact for now.
Listen to me and answer my riddles.
Ignore them and she'll pay the price.
Now go to a place that starts with P,
Ends with E and has 1000 letters.

The note was found on the rug inside the foyer the next day at noon by Thomas—someone must have slid it under the door. He quickly ran to Joker's office to deliver it to him with a shaking hand.

"What the hell is this?" J asked, clearly still tired from their late night.

"A note. A threat, really. I think it's from Riddler," Tom replied as he handed over the paper. The statement set Joker's blood boiling, but not nearly as much as the words in the note.

"That fucker thinks he can fuck with me and get away with it? He has another thing coming!" J roared as he stood up. "We're going to find that little weasel and wring his neck until he tells me where he's taken Madeline!"

Just then, the phone rang.

"What?" Joker snapped as he picked it up.

"I take it you received my note," Edward smirked.

"I'll kill you, you bastard," Joker threatened.

"Then Madeline will have to die first, I'm afraid. I figured that you wouldn't be receptive to the letter without a little prodding," Eddy sighed. "You have two hours to reach us starting now. If you aren't here before that I'm killing the girl. Good luck."

And he hung up.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

"What did he say?" Asked Madeline as Riddler came back into the room she was in. "Is he coming?"

She sat down in a chair next to Riddler. She had no idea that the room she was in had been hastily constructed. It was not part of the original blueprint. Maddie had no clue that she was in such danger, that there was a trap waiting ten yards beneath her feet.

"Yes, he should be," Riddler smirked. "It may take him a while, though. This place is sort of in the middle of nowhere."

"Oh, okay. How long do you think it'll take?" Maddie wondered.

"Hopefully just short of two hours. Would you like to stimulate your brain some while we wait?" Eddy replied. Or rather, before you meet your end?

He also wanted to gloat to someone about something and, sadly, outwitting a four year old seemed sufficient at the time.

"What does stimulate mean?" She asked with a tilt of her head.

"In this case, to promote and kickstart brain activity," Edward defined. "And we can do this using a fun little riddle game of my own invention. I'll give you a riddle, and if you get it right, you get a point. But if you get it wrong... I get a point. Whoever has the most points when your clown gets here is the winner."

"What does the winner get?" Maddie questioned.

"Are you suggesting that we make a little wager?" Riddler inquired, more than a little surprised.

"What's the point of winning if there's no prize?" Madeline countered.

"Fair point. But there's no way you'll win. Are you still willing to risk it with such slim chances?" Edward scoffed.