One

Maniacal laughter could be heard even over the deafening sound of rapidly firing artillery, terrifying all the victims holed up in the bank. Some still had hope that their caped crusader would come and save them, but deep down they knew that they had no real chance of survival, especially since this particular raid occurred in the daylight. All of the citizens of Gotham knew the Bat was afraid of the revealing light of day.

And besides, there were never any survivors during the Joker's robberies, especially not right now, while he was so bored for a proper disaster that he killed everyone he saw. Not even his own henchmen were spared, though their lives were always in danger anyway. No, right now Joker was annoyed with Batman for being so predictable, and he couldn't figure out a plan crazy enough to enact that would set the B-Man off for good.

Now he was just bored because he didn't have a good toy to entertain him. Sure, women came and went, because he had his unbelievable looks and charm, but none were interesting enough to keep around; none gave him any inspiration or further thirst for chaos.

Joker needed to prove something to the citizens of Gotham. All it takes is one bad day to put someone on his level. That's how far away 'normal' people are from his madness. He just needed to find the perfect subject. With his brilliance, it would be no trouble to dream up a new scheme if he had a good enough toy. But sadly, no such project had been found, so now the unfortunate citizens who had chosen to go to Gotham National Bank that day were doomed to die.

Joker cackled gleefully at seeing blood splatter on other victims and dead bodies as he and his oddly dressed crew murdered the bank's inhabitants. Watching the red liquid cover the walls and floors was almost orgasmic for the delusional madman. His silver grills glinted in the fluorescent lighting as he grinned manically at the room now full of dead bodies. His tattooed chest was speckled with blood as he breathed heavily, admiring his masterpiece.

"Boss," Johnny Frost interrupted loudly. Joker whipped around to stare at his head minion. "The cops will be here in four. You should go. I'll get the cash back to the hideout."

"Are you sweet talkin' me?" Joker demanded with his signature grin adorning his face. He wouldn't stand for being given orders by his own goon.

"Boss," Johnny said again. "You know he won't come. It's not worth a vacation in Arkham."

Joker growled loudly at the subtle mention of his nemesis. Of course he was hoping Batsy would come, but he knew that his favorite vigilante wouldn't be gracing him with his presence that day—he just didn't like to be reminded of it. But he knew Frost was right—hopelessly waiting for Batman to arrive in order to torment him wasn't worth getting temporarily sent to Arkham. Temporarily because everyone knew that Joker could never be held in the asylum forever. He always broke out, the only questions were when and how.

So, taking Johnny's advice, Joker stomped to the hole he had blown in the wall, his purple coat fluttering as he stormed out. He ducked through the hole to the alley where he had 'parked' his purple Lamborghini. Just as he opened the driver side door, he heard a small voice pipe up.

"I like your hair, mister," a girl's voice spoke. Joker turned around slowly, a smirk creeping onto his face. He was surprised to see a small girl that looked no older than five staring up at him shyly. She was covered by dirt and grime and a few torn up looking rags.

"Is that so?" He purred to the girl, showing off his silver grill.

"Yeah, and your coat and teeth look pretty cool, too," the girl complimented. Joker cracked his neck circularly, for some reason finding interaction with this girl amusing.

"Oh really? I'm sure your mommy and daddy wouldn't think so, little girl. They would say you shouldn't talk to me," Joker smiled.