11 | Green-Eyed Monster

Start from the beginning

S R Y

  "It's fine. I'm glad that isn't the case. Anyway, I wanted to ask why you went away earlier. I meant to ask sooner, but I had too much homework to deal with. My teachers have been a pain in the ass all day with all these assignments," I joke, laughing a little.

U   W E R E N T   L O O K I N G

  My expression falls as I stare at the board in surprise. So that's the reason why. Great, now I feel like shit. "Oh, I'm sorry. Nathan and I were just talking, and I guess I didn't notice the planchette moving. I didn't mean to ignore you or anything, really."

I   F O R G I V E   U

  "Okay, good." I sighed in relief, but it seems he isn't finished yet. The planchette continues moving after a short pause, spelling out,

4   A   K I S S

  I find myself rolling my eyes at the cheeky spirit, and warmed a bit in the face when I thought about the kiss we shared on Halloween. Thank goodness he can't see me right now... At least, I don't think he can. I shake the thought from my head. If he could, he definitely would be teasing me about it right now. "Pervert."

U   L U V   M E

I giggled, and though I know he was exaggerating, I couldn't stop the butterflies from forming in my stomach. Every time I talk to him, I seem to get flustered one way or another. It really is a shame Jack can't stay longer than one day out of the year. The spirit board is nice and all, but I'd love to spend more time with him in person too. At least we have this.

  "Maybe when we see each other again,"  I say, without thinking. It was only after I did that I realized what words came out of my mouth, and I was mortified.

'Did I seriously just tell him I'd kiss him the next time we meet? Y/N, you monumental simp! Are you stupid?!' I practically slapped myself with the velocity at which my hand flew to cover my face.

'Why would I say something like that?! Oh, god, he's laughing at me right now, isn't he? I can hear him from here.' My palm slid down my face, dragging at the skin beneath my eyes, when I heard the planchette move. It spelled out my name, and for some reason I felt a strange gravity to the letters, making me forget all about my embarrassment.

Y / N

I tilt my head, waiting for more and gave a small hum to indicate I was paying attention.

U  R E M E M B E R  O U R 
P R O M I S E  R I G H T

  "Promise?"

D O N T   F O R G E T   M E

My heart throbbed as I set my fingers gently back on the game piece, smiling softly in comfort when I felt an aura of sadness seeping through the board. When we speak to each other with this thing, his emotions tend to convey the strongest when I touch the board. It made me feel more connected to him. He always brings that promise up. Never forget him. Is he afraid I'll abandon him? I'd never. He's my friend, and he makes me so happy. I can forget all of what troubles me when I'm in his company, and more than that, how could I ever forget how amazing he is? The King of Halloween, the spirit of all things spooky, the magician who can bend the world with the tips of his fingers and devour candy like a sugar disposal.

"How could I ever forget? You are the most incredible person I've ever met in my entire life. You always ask this. Is there something wrong, Jack? You can tell me. I'm here. I'll listen," I assure him. After all, he's been so kind to hear out everything that bothers me. If he's feeling upset, I'd like to help him. Jack stays quiet for a little too long, making me frown with worry. "Jack, are you still there? Is everything okay?" The planchette inches its way towards the word "NO" at a sluggish pace.