Chapter 19: Breaking

I felt the whole world slowly tremble. The darkness slowly enveloped my view. I felt my calm shatter like glass.

I stumbled towards the General. My feet didn't obey me. I fell on my knees. Dust rose up. Tears streamed down my cheeks. I felt the sand slide down my throat.

I imagined the worst. That Natsuhito had been killed in battle, or that my parents had been kidnapped.

"What happened?" I choked out.

General Tang realised that his words carried a very deep meaning and brought me in his arm. "Do not fear, Lady Keiko. Master hasn't died. The news I'm referring too are regarding your brother." I cried. Burying my face on his chest. The soft silk slowly started dampening.

From an outsider's point of view who didn't know what just happened, the scene might have seemed of two lovers. Him enveloping with his arms. My head buried in his chest.

I knew that all the soldiers that were spread around us knew very well that I didn't see General Tang that way.

The thing I didn't know was that, Akisada, the cute little orphan that used to bring me food and work around the camp had scuttled closer and had seen the scene. The poor boy considered Natsuhito as his father, as I later learned, so he thought I was having an affair. And that all the other soldiers were in on it.

I'm sure he felt extremely disgusted. He ran away. Tears flying in the night. We didn't suspect anything. We didn't suspect that the next day, we'd be destroyed. We didn't even know about the chaos that would ensue.

"Your brother had been caught with slaves dealer. They had a full load. Very pretty girls and a few boys." General Tang whispered in my ear.

My eyes widened as he pressed me closer. The arms that before encircled his chest fell limp at my sides as my eyes widened and my heart tore apart. I wanted to scream but I clamped my mouth shut. My tears replaced my screams. They dropped down on the floor. Some soldiers tried getting closer but General Tang shook his head.

I realised they were all so niece. All so sweet. Even when they had a bad day. Just like brothers. Real brothers. Not like my brother. I disentangled myself from the soft hug with which the General was protecting me.

I stood up. I bowed down. "Thank you so much for the news." I whispered hoarsely. General Tang stood up. Bowing as well.
The soldiers eyes gleamed in the darkness.

As my last tear dropped down from my cheek I stood up. All the stress of that 1 month crashed on me.

The constant worrying for Natsuhito, the wondering and pondering regarding brother, asking myself, "Why is he here?", the continuous training, the worry of not being able to keep up and being considered as a weakling, the aching body, the sleepless nights. Just came down on me.

I broke.

I saw stars behind my eyelids. My head throbbed. My heart ached.

General Tang slowly approached me. As he put his hand on my arm, I saw red. I kicked him in the stomach before ripping off my silk hair tie. He fell down

My hair cascaded down my shoulders. I ran past shocked and confused soldiers. I ran past tents. The world becoming one and only blur around me. I couldn't hear the shouts that followed me. The air blocked my ears.

I ran in the forest. Going back to where I was found. Where it had all started. The place I had called home for the worst days of my life. The place were I had decided to get married. I ran and ran. Through thick bushes and hard grass, I managed to arrive to the spot where Natsuhito had taken me. I bit my lip in fury. A single drop of blood splattered on the ground.

I looked back at the trees. The sky was still dark. The sun hadn't risen yet to cover the mistakes of the previous day. It seemed like a cruel joke. The sun made me wait. It seemed like the sun didn't want to make me forget.

I felt tears pool at the corners of my eyes. I shut my ebony eyes and opened my mouth.

The most bloodcurdling scream I have ever heard escaped my lips. I fell on the ground. I screamed at the grass. Thumping with my hand. I continued to scream until the sun was up.

As the first feeble ray of sunlight tentatively stroked my cheek, I closed my eyes. Everything went still. The forest was silent. It had absorbed my racket.

I felt something rise up my throat. I spat bile on the grass. I wiped my mouth and fell down on the grass that welcomed me.

The tree tops seemed hazy. Like a dream. Their leaves seemed to extend to me. To dry my tears. I just groaned and turned around.

Falling asleep.

Only to be woken five hours later, by a solider who would soon become my friend.

I felt almond shake me gently. I moaned and opened my eyes slightly.

The strong sunlight made me rub my eyes.

I saw the smiling face of a solider. He looked familiar. He was the one who had made the boxes drop while I was training.

As soon as the solider realised I was awake, he sat back down and saluted. "My name is Kiributso. I am a Commander as well as Master's friend. I came to inform you, that Natsuhito is back."

My eyes widened.