Chapter 2: General Kasumoto

Right as I placed the bag of Kichis in my parents hand, a Captain stood up on a stool and clapped his hands.

Everybody stopped their actions and turned around to face him.

I shivered as I realised it was the same captain that had read the scroll in our house. He seemed brutal and without a soul, even more than the general.

He clacked his heels together. All the military people that were in the area ran at his feet and made a straight line.
They clacked their heels as well and saluted.
They all seemed like rocks. Or statues. Without expression and feeling.

The captain saluted, as a general mounted on a stool next to him.
This one was tall and looked menacing. One of his eyes was milky. It stared at nothing in particular.

"I am General Kasumoto. I have been in many wars myself, and I have lost an eye, as you can clearly see."

The are stayed quite. No one moved a muscle.

"I expect an impeccable behaviour by the newly enrolled. I. Will. Not. Tolerate. Disobedience." He said. His voice could freeze a whole village.
"As the soldiers under my command know, I want everyone to be perfect. Punishments will be severe."

"We are not gentle in the army! We do not want sissies and crybabies. You will see your companions die! You will probably die yourself, or lose a limb! This is not a reason to cry! You are fighting for your home nation! Be proud!" The captain next to the general said. His eyes had been jumping from one person to the other. His eyes stopped on me longer.

I shivered unintentionally. I realised, the captain was the one who yelled and scared everybody. But the real one to fear was the general. He looked like he loved blood. He was the one who would give the most severe punishments.
My mum tightened her grip on my arm.

The general smiled. Not a smile that warmed your heart. Something horribly terrifying glimmered in his eyes.
"Say goodbye to your families, and line up in neat rows. Partner up in two. We will be leaving this instant!" He said.

I turned to face my family. My mum was crying again. She threw her arms around me. "Oh, my sweet baby! I don't want you to die! The sons and daughters should be the ones to mourn for their parents, not vice versa!" She cried.
My dad patted her back. "Do not worry my love, Kei-Meilin will survive, I'm sure."
I felt my heart skip a beat. Tears threatened to spill. I pulled my mum closer, as well as my dad. As we hugged tight, I whispered in their ears.
"I will love you forever, and I will come back!" I said. My voice cracked.

My mum and dad pulled back. Mum dried her tears and dad pulled her closer. I waved and joined the stream of bodies towards the line-up point.

There were two white stallions at the front. Their fur white as snow.
I lined up behind the general.
Someone then scuttled beside me.
I turned around.
A kid, looked at me. He was probably ten. His eyes were filled with fear. Probably as mine. But in seeing a kid, go to war, I put on a brave face.

"We'll win it for sure." I said, nodding bravely. The kid nodded shakily.

As the general and the captains hopped on their horses, I turned one last time to say goodbye to my parents.

But they were already gone. I realised the other soldiers probably shooed them away.

I quickly dried a tear.

I was really alone. Not anyone with me.
Just the kid, maybe understood my misery.

As we started marching, I realised, the war was truly horrible.

No one was a winner.

Deaths were inevitable.

Meanwhile, far, far away, the rebels were planning to attack us soon enough.