Chapter 8: Poppy Seed

My chopsticks dropped onto my lap. They clinged softly.

Natsuhito leaned forward. His hand placed the rice bowl on the table. The chopsticks on the side. A glimmer of amusement glimmered in his eyes. His eyes swirled like the pits of hell.

I felt his dark energy pulse off him. I looked up at him. My canine biting my lower lip. Why do I feel him being so terrifying? He looks so kind. But he's also so revered. It looks like his world is without love. 

"W-why me?" I stammered. "Your not like the typical girl that just wants to sit around and do nothing. You want to live. To be able to be independent and not rely on men. I find that amazing."

I abruptly stood up. My elbow hit the rice bowl. "I'll go and think about that. I will come back when I have...decided." I gulped. I stumbled out of the tent. In my confused daze, all my surroundings, looked like a dream. Hazy and distant. I stumbled past soldiers. I ran to hide in the forest where I had come from. I ran through it. The branches snapping at my face. I held up my kimono so it wouldn't brush the floor. Some branches scratched my neck. I just ran in random. The trees starting to thin.

I stumbled upon a small hill. It was very green. Poppies grew around it. Underneath, the forest. If I turned to the right, I could see a part of the camp. I walked to the edge of the cliff and plopped down. I kicked my shoes in the corner. My eyes glittered. I continued watching the bustle of the camp. The forest's sound wafted up to me.

A poppy petal floated on my hand. It fiery red color distracted me. And so, I stayed on that cliff. The light changed.

I was so distracted, I didn't see someone's sitting down next to me. I looked up. The muscular figure of Natsuhito welcomed my sight.
I bit my lip. He turned to look at me. He smiled darkly. His smile. No hint of joy. I smiled back.

"Your answer?" He asked quietly.

I looked at the poppy petal. It fluttered softly. The wind brought him away. My hand tried to take him back, but in vain. I took a deep breath. Pushed out all the air, scrunched up my eyes, and said, "I will."