Chapter 12: War Soon

Natsuhito steered me towards his tent. His hand pressed on my shoulder. It helped me move around. Without it, I would be laying on the ground. My heart beating slowly.

The tent quivered in the wind. My eyes looked at it with relief. Natsuhito pushed me inside. He turned around and grabbed the hems of the tent opening. "I don't want to be disturbed for no reason whatsoever." He said. Yelling to every soldier in the area. His voice, cold. He slammed the curtains shut. Buttoning them together.

I stayed silent in the middle of the tent.

Natsuhito came closer. For I second, my eyes became those of my brother's.

Natsuhito was not Natsuhito anymore. He was a monster. His eyes, so dark yet familiar, turned terrifying. His teeth looked like fangs.

I don't know what crawled in me, but my eyes widened and I slowly started to move back. I yell escaped my mouth. I fell to the floor. Natsuhito's face turned to concern.

He picked me up in his arms. I tried pushing him away, but, I was no match for him. He sat down on the bed. My head pressed against his chest.

His hand stopped the flow of blood. His lips started kissing my head. I relaxed. My eyes closed. He pressed me closer.

"Believe me, I know what you feel." He said hoarsely. My eyes flew open. "I've gotten treated badly by members of my family as well." He said. His voice cold. Like he was trying to not drag back to the memories. I wanted it know more. But, I didn't want to press. My hand slowly reached to his face. The tips of my fingers careering his cheek.

He leaned in it. We stayed like that for minutes. Or was it hours? At a certain point, I moved slightly. Natsuhito smiled. "My dear Phoenix," He said quietly. I blushed at the nickname. "I'll have to go to war tomorrow. I can't just let my soldiers die without me." He whispered. My heart tightened. Without meaning, I pulled him closer. "Don't." I sobbed. Showing my weak side. Natsuhito caressed my clothed back. The thought of loosing him like I lost Futoshi made tear sparkle in my eyes.

"Do not worry. If everything goes well, this will be the last battle. Before I conquer it all." I pulled back. "Why are you fighting?" I asked. Natsuhito smiled. "To prevent what the old Emperor was doing." I widened my eyes in question. "He didn't rule well. He was manipulated. Deaths were everywhere. Slave merchants were heading towards the Northern Lands. Hoping the snow would cover their trace up."

I gasped. He pulled me tighter. "I will be back, I promise." I nodded. Pulling him tighter. My hands clawing at the fabric that covered his body. "My best general will train you, starting form tomorrow. Today, it's too stressful." He exclaimed. I nodded.

"Tonight, you can sleep with me in my tent." Natsuhito said. I blushed. "But, it's inappropriate!" He smiled. "Just for tonight?" He pleaded. I laughed. "Okay. Only for tonight."