Bloody Possessive

Start from the beginning

I couldn't keep the smile off my face. I pushed it down before it reappeared.

"You alright? You look like you're having a seizure." Aniket says, wiping a non-existent speck of dust off the corner of my lips.

I sigh. "That was not funny, you doofus. Seizures are serious. Don't make jokes out of that." I pause, my eyes flicking towards his. "Oh, I love you too."

"It took you so long to say that back." He says, laughing. I kiss his cheek, and he pulls me in, hugging me tight as if someone with take me away from him.

"Shall we bid?" Aniket asks, pulling out of the embrace.

I hesitate for a moment. It doesn't matter now. We were the same. But I would still repay him if I can. I don't like other people buying things for me.

I'm an independent woman.

"Alright." I say, biting my lips, as we move towards the auction.

The ruby necklace was still being auctioned. One person raised their hand, yelling out a clear, "two lakhs."

"And the dashing gentleman in black wants this necklace for two lakhs." He pauses, waiting for another person to call out a price. "Remember, this money is going to a good cause; st.Anne's hospital, where a little boy's mother is hoping to get her son a new heart."

"Oh my god, Aniket." I say, gasping in shock. That boy was my patient. I raise my hand halfway, without thinking.

The surgery is free, but the heart isn't. It would range anywhere from 3 to 5 lakhs.

"4 lakhs." I yell, raising my hand.

"This beautiful red ruby necklace is wanted for 4 lakhs by the beautiful young woman in that stunning red dress." He pauses, waiting for other bids. "Going once." Everyone knows that the necklace isn't worth as much. "Going twice." The auctioneer bites his lip. "And the ruby necklace goes to the lady in the red dress. Enjoy."

A young man comes out carrying the necklace in his hand from the backstage, holding a payment terminal.

I hand the boy my debit card, but Aniket has beat me to it. I smile at him, not wanting to cause a scene. Aniket was paying for a little boy's heart.

If only I have any more space in my heart for conjuring more love for my husband.

The man hands over the necklace to Aniket, who puts it around my neck after brushing away my long hair to one side.

He turns me around, "you make the necklace more beautiful."

I laugh at him, "isn't it supposed to be the other way around?" I ask him, scrunching up my nose shyly.

"Nope." He says, popping the P. "You definitely make it more beautiful."

"Thank you, Aniket, for paying for it."

"Don't mention it. Seriously. It doesn't even make a difference in my account."

"It would in mine. I'm broke." I say, laughing at my own financial instability.

"What happened?"

"Let's just say I have my neck in a project right now.." I pause, unable to keep a secret.

"I'm funding for a nursery in my hospital. What with helping my family, building the new house, I don't have any money left. I need to do more paid surgeries."

"Look, If you need help, you can always ask, alright? Why didn't you tell me this before?"

"I didn't know you loved me Aniket. How could I possibly tell you about money problems?"