Chapter 84: Natural Anthem

Start from the beginning

Maxine chuckles. "We'll see what we can do. Where are we headed?"

"The eastern exit is on the other side of the building. Your way is clear, but you'd better hurry. We don't have much time."

I nod, and we head onward. "Thanks for letting us know, Milo."

"No problem."

"Yeah," Sam says, "thanks, but you seriously can't be in here."

"Why not?"

"Because Janine will kill me if she finds out you're in here while I have my runners on such a dangerous mission," He replies, and I don't miss the way Simon flinches at the mention of Janine. "Plus, don't you have to help Penelope in the greenhouse today?"

"She's good with plants. She'll be fine being in there by herself. I'd much rather be in here anyway and get to see what it's like to be out there."

"Milo."

"Sam."

Sam growls in frustration. "Why do you have to be so much like your mother?"

I shake my head, smiling slightly as I continue running. Sam murmurs something to Milo, mostly just saying he can stay as long as he isn't distracting and if he promises to never mention this around Janine. I see Simon tense when her name is said again. There's a pain there in his eyes that shakes me to the core.

The regret I see leaves a horrible feeling in my stomach. But that feeling's been there for a while now, since I remember the vision I had before leaving for London.

"Simon... you'll die."

"Yeah. Yeah, that's the plan."

I shudder. I have to hope we can stop that from happening, although I'm not sure how... I have to hope Simon won't go with us to Comansys Tower, but unfortunately I don't have the time to focus on that now. Instead I focus on entering the museum, looking around in awe and amazement.

"Wow," Maxine sighs.

"What do you see? You should be in the main foyer of The Earth Science Hall," Sam says. "They've got the walls done up like the night sky, all of the different constellations picked out in white, and there should be an escalator in the center that sort of sucks up into this big model of a globe."

"What do you mean 'should be'?" Maxine asks.

"I've disconnected the camera systems in this building," A female voice replies from across the room, and I turn to see a familiar dark haired girl with a neutral expression on her face. "I didn't want any of my own movements to attract the wrong kind of attention."

"Great," I hear Milo sigh in annoyance. "I'm still staying even if I can't see anything."

"Yeah, guess you'll be flying blind for awhile," Sam says. "Let's try to make that a really short while. Uh, Veronica, where's everyone headed?"

"The curator's office, next to the British Geographical Survey room," Veronica replies, taking the lead.

"Alright. So, you'll go through the Main Hall, around the escalator, past the deli and wind power exhibits, and then straight through the gift shop. When you've reached the fossil room, take a left."

There's a beat of silence.

"How'd you know that without looking?" Milo asks, which earns a sheepish laugh from our operator.

"Once you've been to the museum two or three or fifteen times, it's hard to forget."

I open my mouth, my mind thinking of ways to tease Sam immensely for being such a freaking nerd. He's a cute nerd, but a nerd nonetheless.