Chapter 3: On Target

"No!" Fowler yells, giving a stern glance. "I will not accept this as an investigation."

Jeffrey sits down in his chair, rubbing at his temples as his eyes turn towards his papers . "Please, Fowler. This android knows much more than you and I do. I know it's worth looking into."

He stops avoiding my gaze and pushes his brown eyes away from his screen to boldly stare at us. In the time we've spent in his office, I've told him all I know about CyberLife and what happened when I was walking home. Still, he refuses to listen. Jeffrey leans forward, placing both hands on the table. I glare sharply at him, folding my arms tightly.

"I won't allow it."

Fowler returns to his seat and switches his attention to the work before him, scribbling down notes and typing up letters.

"Can I show you something?" The captain looks past me while I face Connor looming over my seat. "Show me what?" Fowler scoffs at him in disbelief. "My memory is corrupted, but I can show you the remains." Corrupted? I knew there was something else damaged.

"(Y/N), you may have saved this android but that doesn't mean we should be poking around that place and make up an investigation just because of it." Connor eyes him down with his lip curled. "She rescued me from the river, or more specifically, from two agents. There's something more to CyberLife that you should know about." Fowler searches my eyes for my confirmation then looks to Connor, "Oh, did she now?"

The Android steps by the desk, offering his hand. "Captain, please, trust me on this." Fowler eyes the robot down, and sits in complete silence. Connor's hand melts away to pale white, and lightly brushes Fowler's sleeve.

Fowler's chest doesn't rise to take a breath or blink his eyes at all. Both of them stand motionless, perhaps caught in some sort of trance only they understand. They leave me sitting awkwardly in my seat while I glance away at a few empty desks.

Curious eyes poke into Fowler's glass box and I sheepishly grin at the gawking department. What the hell is in Connor's memory and storage? Evidence perhaps? It has to be highly confidential and important.

Before I can act or do anything, their arms separate and Connor abruptly leaves him to stand beside my chair. "What exactly happened just now?" I question aloud, shooting a puzzled look to Connor. Jeffrey straightens his tie and presses his hands together.

"The android will be working with you and Hank." I raise an eyebrow as he pauses. "On one condition." How expected of him. "And that is?"

"Your 'investigation' can be postponed for a few days. There are plenty of other cases at the moment." I rise from my chair and hold my arm out across his chaotically filled desk. "Deal."

He grabs my hand and shakes it, then slides out of my grip to resume his fixation at his computer. "Go investigate 11th Monroe Drive for the Smiths house. If you don't, finish what you've got on your desk," He points away with his short pencil, gazing eagerly at the monitor.  

"See ya, Fowler," I spin my body to head over to the exit and notice the Android ahead of me. Connor stands there, already holding the glass door open. "Thanks," I grin, stepping down the stairs of the office. He shuts the glass without making a noise and tags along to the table.

Fowler, at most times, is difficult to convince when it comes with an argument. Knowing that this Android can easily make a negotiation through its programming proves to be quite helpful. On the other hand, this seems more serious than I initially thought.

I sit by the desk, counting the pages of paperwork from a giant stack I've been assigned with. The corner of my mouth twitches as I observe the stack slightly bending my desk from its overwhelming weight. Previously I've finished some other stack from before and spent a whole day from nearly breaking my fingers. The successful pain is yet again replaced with even more pages. In perfect condition and all new too. Praise the DPD.

"Look, I don't know what to do," I begin, tapping my pen at the edge of the table. My head tilts to the robot, a worried glance lingers, "I need you to be here so I can find out what's going on with CyberLife, so, I don't have many options. My investigation will take a bit of time and..." I switch my gaze towards him, he faintly smiles. 

"Is it alright if I could keep you for now? It's for the sake of the investigation and, well, I know it's a strange proposal, but it's necessary if we're going to work together on this." Strange, I wasn't expecting to get all tense and formal. God, I've done this before with Gavin. We once had to stay up for two nights straight for an investigation. It's for the case. It's temporary. It's for the-