Chapter 10 - Vulnerable

Fireworks blasted into the sky, tearing up angrily grey clouds in its destructive colour show. Purple dominated the rest of its random erupting hues in the air. Explosive pops echoed and poured its noises into the surrounding area, emitting a loud wave of crackling across layers of snow.

Kamski sat comfortably in a peculiar chair as Chloe remained to the left of him, waiting.

There wasn't any special occasion to celebrate this thunderous event. In fact, he genuinely didn't care less about anybody in sight. If he felt upset or anything significant, he, without fail, made a huge statement about it. Mostly to himself, as he usually isolated his well-known status from the public.

Anybody could easily recognise that defined face anywhere. Instead of getting harassed when noticed, he... actually gains gratitude. From androids or from a couple of people obsessed over his previous work. Specifically, those who study robotics and sciences of the like. Amanda helped him get to where he is, and to express that appreciation, he helps Damira as he would help her mother.

Rich and powerful as he is retired, there wasn't nothing he couldn't spend his success on. Kamski sat in a stiff position, struggling to execute the simple task of resting peacefully. Chloe remained on edge, switching priorities each time he blinked. As she gave into the commands, she thought better of it. The android swallowed her tongue and squeezed a transparent clipboard uncomfortably.

"What's Damira been up to?" He queried, handling another glass of cold alcohol. Ice cubes clinked in his drink, and it swirled around the chilling liquid. Purple reflected off of his antique glasses as the coolness mixed into his potable poison. Kamski's fingers brushed the sliding lenses to prevent its fall, letting his hand linger briefly.

"Nothing special, sir. She is continuously upgrading the RK900 model," Chloe skimmed her holographic tablet, top to bottom. Kamski chugs his drink and throws the empty cup at the solid ground, sending crystal shards flying everywhere. A sea of glass scattered by his feet, and he didn't move. Chloe flinched although she knew those cuts wouldn't physically harm her at all.

"Her and that fucking robot," he bellowed, "She's infatuated with it."

"Did you want me to finish the report?" Kamski waved his hand at her to signal her, "No, if you do, I'm afraid I'll ruin my kitchen out of annoyance." A heavy sigh is followed, and he slumps into the cushioned seat. Fireworks kept bursting into thin air, adding a faint wipe of colour to his cherry red pool and the main viewing area.

"Is there anything that I can do, sir?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Chloe, leave me alone... please."

Kamski ensured he didn't raise his voice, especially at her. "I need to be by myself, but I appreciate your willingness to help." He refused to look at the android, caught in the middle of expressing confliction.

Snippets of his ideas were thrown onto him. From his perspective, his hatred for the RK900 could be justified through his lost connection between him and Damira. One mention of its model, and a fragment of a memory faded.

His reasoning was not out of jealousy. Okay, maybe partial jealousy. But what could he do about it? By now, he has practically exhausted every card on her, in silly hopes of reviving their cherished relationship. The coffee shop, the old park, and the penthouse they used to hang by during his university years.

Out of his pocket, he reached into it to find a semi-scrunched picture of Damira's birthday party. Kamski giggled, purely out of a desperate longing to reach out to her again. She's so different, dammit. Too different.

Promise me, promise me you'll look after her when I'm not around for her. She has nobody else.

A ringing struck his ears, and flashbacks swallowed his sanity.

Hesitant, uncertain, and cautious, Amanda strode up to the android planted into the grey wall. Cables wrapped around its components, legs, and arms, attaching it firmly to nearby machines. Hums of energy poured into the lifeless structure and the professor awaited its launch.

Kamski clutched his ink-filled notepad, sliding his glasses back up the bridge of his nose. He stood by a computer and a desk while an impenetrable glass wall separated him from Amanda. The student shouldn't have allowed an obstacle to keep him from her. Ever.

Yet the professor took that risk, simply because she admired him for his talents. Kamski stayed atop his classes and had accumulated an advanced mindset which took her and most university professors by surprise. By far, he was miles ahead of any student in their sets of records.

Sharing the same unquenchable thirst for knowledge and their limitless passion for technology, they saw a spark that nobody else could see. Of course, it's wrong to have favourites, but Amanda favoured Kamski anyway.

He won't forget that hopeful smile that graced her features as she turned to the unfinished project. After a long silent debate to herself, she believed in him. 
She decided to trust him. Not a single drop of doubt stood present on Amanda.