Chapter 1: Angst

When the door creaked open, I felt the hard lash of the chilling wind, whip the back of my neck. It was overwhelming, sending a shiver through my entire body. Drops of rain dripped down onto the steps from my drenched tan coat as I stood fixed on the aged porch. Thunder murmured behind me and was soon followed by a sinister electrifying crackle. 

The house stood isolated, decorated everywhere in shattered glass. Patches of moonlight dimly peeked through the cracked hanging windows. That was the only light source I had, other than a small flashlight tucked in my pocket.

Quiet, and dark, but going further in, it reeked of thick blood. The neighbours reported gunshots. Now that I'm here, I have a dreadful gut feeling something terrible has happened. There were many reports of the victim outlined in simple detail. On Tuesday last week, that was supposedly the last appearance the man made outside.

Later on, co-workers confessed that the owner never returned for work. Neighbours added onto this by mentioning that he never shopped for groceries or did anything at all. From these notes, there's a high chance Joseph Adams is dead. However, it does include in the paperwork that he owns an android. Oddly enough, the model hasn't been reported. Planting light steps on the floorboards, I moved towards the lounge room.

"Gavin?" I whispered, he cocked his head to the side and tossed his cigarette. "Yeah?" He answered coolly, squishing the weak smoke flat on the wood. "Don't mess this up again."

"Yeah, whatever, let's just get this deviant." Gavin held his gun steady as I pressed on. "You don't know that yet, it could be a person." We both approached the kitchen passing by the lounge room. "You don't know that either." I rolled my eyes and forcefully held back a groan, "Focus, Gavin."

When we turned to pass the corner, I looked down and saw dry stains of a blood trail in the carpet. As we got closer, we knew what lay ahead. A dead man lay in the corner by the sink, sitting in a sticky pool of red. Blood marks stuck to the cabinets and flies roamed around.

I pushed further to get to the body. The rough carpet fades into the cold smudged tiles. "Great, mystery solved, we've got what we've wanted so let's head out." Any word he speaks sounds like he's screaming sarcasm, and from that I can never tell when he's being serious.

"Cut it out!" I hissed lowly, both of us crouched by the man and began examining the area. "You check the left I'll check the right side," He nodded in my direction, and moved off. I grabbed my flashlight and squeezed the button.

Finally, I can actually see for once. There was a tiny pocket knife stuck into him and wounds were scattered on his chest. Blood wasn't exactly fresh. Both his tie and cream shirt were painted up with most of it. Even his blonde hair soaked in the crimson substance.

"What do you think? Stabbed first or shot?" I asked Gavin. Hastily, he turned from the cabinets and glanced at the body. "Maybe the knife," I curiously studied him for a few seconds before questioning: "What's your theory?"

He stroked his chin checking the wounds on the man. "I'm thinking of an attack and go, stabbing him then grabbing the gun." He crouched to take a better glimpse, "Maybe it was an intruder? Well, nobody next door has heard any disturbance here..."

"An intruder? Gavin, he has an Android in his possession that still functions. It's nowhere to be seen." I looked at him, thinking hard. "Besides, do you think it's damaged?" He rose from the ground and lends his hand down, "Wanna go check?" I got up and ignored the open palm. "Let's keep looking here first."

Behind my back, his strange deep frown weighed on me. As he checked the counter and the cabinets, I glanced at the dining table and filled utensils. So far, it seemed that the gun and the pocket knife were the only murder weapons in sight. Didn't Joseph at least try to protect himself?