Epilogue

Copyright 2019 © Rosesareforever 

Haunted by the Past

Epilogue

Applying the final touches to her makeup, Stephanie took an assessing look in the mirror, trying to decide whether she was happy with the result of almost an hour of preparing herself to go out. Tonight David was taking her to the opening of a new company and he'd told her to look pretty. Usually, when he said something like that, she flipped him the bird and ignored his request, but something about tonight was different. David had seemed serious, even a little nervous. It was quite the strange look on him.

She'd tried to figure out where his sudden tenseness had come from but came up blank. Somehow, after a little over a year of living together, the man still managed to surprise her. One thing was certain, life with David was never dull. Not once had she regretted her decision to move in with him. While she'd struggled to accept his kindness and generosity in the beginning, Stephanie had learned to welcome the benevolence he showed her. They were partners. He simply took care of her because he loved her, not because he wanted her to depend on him. The difference between those two had become quite clear.

While it was still hard to accept gifts she didn't feel like she deserved, Stephanie had to admit that learning to depend on David had been the key to her happiness. The more she lowered her guard, the more carefree she felt. Being loved was not a prison, it was a treasure.

A sudden whistle threw Stephanie off guard, turning around, she noticed David standing in the doorway of the bathroom, his eyes hungrily accessing her body. "Damn, sweetheart," he mumbled, his voice low, "Every time I think I've gotten used to your beauty you manage to sweep me off my feet."

Smirking, Stephanie shook her head and put down the mascara she was holding in her hand. "You sweet talker," she accused as she closed the remaining distance between them and wrapped her arms around his neck, her fingertips digging into his nape.

"Just stating the obvious," he backfired as he pressed a soft peck against her temple. "I was wondering what was taking you so long – now I understand."

"Beauty takes time," she told him as she took a step back and made her way towards the living room where she'd left her purse on the coffee table.

"It really doesn't," David disagreed. "You look your best when you're still delirious with pleasure after I've just made you come."

Looking over her shoulders, she sent him a scolding look. "And that doesn't take time?"

"Baby, you're so damn responsive, I could make you come in less than five minutes. In fact, I'm pretty sure you're already wet just thinking about it."

Squeezing her thighs together, Stephanie just rolled her eyes, trying to hide how right he was. David was a master in the bedroom. It hadn't been a fluke. Every time they had sex it only got better. He could play her body like a damn violin. The man was observant to say the least. He knew all her sensitive spots and could easily drive her insane with want.

"We should go. We're already late as it is."

David chuckled. "Changing the subject, my love?"

Not bothering to reply, Stephanie threw her purse over her shoulder and made her way towards the elevator. David followed close behind, his amusement clear by the goofy smile across his features. She ignored his gloating look. Revenge would be sweet. The man didn't know what was coming for him. That night she'd prove to him that she could turn the tables just as easily. While David might know her body quite well, she was certain she knew his even better. Driving him crazy was going to be entertaining.