Chapter 16: Fire Ignites

Copyright 2018 © Rosesareforever    

Haunted by the Past

Chapter 16

Fire Ignites

The day David had found Jessica waiting at the reception desk of his apartment building, he'd also received a text message from the woman he'd really wanted to see – asking how much money she owed him. He'd wisely decided not to respond and wait for Stephanie to seek him out. What he hadn't taken into account was that she might not show up. It had been two days and he'd still not seen her. The wait was starting to make him anxious.

He missed her, thoroughly missed her. Those ten days apart felt like a lifetime. His resolve was starting to crumble. If she didn't come looking for him soon, he was going after her, consequences be damned. He might not be ready to be vulnerable around her, but being vulnerable was better than being lonely.

A knock on the door of his office startled David. Quickly rightening himself, he called out to enter, surprised his assistant hadn't alerted him. When Jade walked in, he instantly knew why there had been no warning. "Jade, honey, what can I do for you?" It wasn't every day his best friend's wife decided to pay him a visit. Even after they'd buried their differences, a remaining distance had stayed between Jade and him. David understood. A lot of stuff had been said between them, words they would never be able to take back. Yet somehow that distance had been starting to dissolve. He was pretty certain he knew why.

"Steph sent me," she announced, confirming his suspicion. "She wants to know how much money she owes you."

David chuckled, shaking his head. "Does she now?"

Jade arched an eyebrow. "Have you really stooped as low as playing games?"

"Who's playing games? I didn't send a messenger," he pointed out.

"True," Jade admitted as she plopped herself down in the chair opposed of him without asking permission. "So what's your master plan?"

"My master plan?" David repeated, confused.

"Yup. The one where you sweep Stephanie of her feet and win her hand?" Jade joked with a grin.

David shook his head, refraining an eye roll. "That's not what I'm trying to do."

"No?" Jade questioned. "So you don't want to be in a relationship with my bestie?" When David stayed quiet, Jade added, "Your actions speak louder than your words, Thompson. It's obvious to anyone who's looking that you care greatly about her. Why not grow a pair of balls and actually go after her?"

"Not that it's any of your business," he emphasized, "but I'm not sure either of us is ready for a relationship."

Jade laughed humorlessly. "Do you honestly think anyone is ever ready for a relationship? It's a rollercoaster without an end. You can't prepare yourself for the unpreparable."

Leaning back in his chair, David released a long sigh and closed his eyes. He really didn't want to talk about this, least of all with his best friend's wife. If there was one person who deserved the truth it was Stephanie and no one else.

"She needs you to go after her, David," Jade exclaimed. "She's much more vulnerable than you think. She misses you. She wants to see you, but she's too damn afraid to take a leap of faith. If you truly want what's best for her, you need to bury your pride and go all in."

"And you know this how?" He knew damn well that Stephanie would never admit out loud that she missed him or needed him.

"While Stephanie might not always confide in me with words, her eyes say a thousand words. I can promise you that she'll be happy to see you, even if she tries to hide it with sarcasm."