Chapter 4: Damsel in Distress

Copyright 2015 © Rosesareforever

Haunted by the Past

Chapter 4

Damsel in Distress

Droplets of rain hit the floor-to-ceiling window of David Thompson's office, the steady dripping sound echoing through the hollow room. Casting a quick glance at the clock hanging on the dark painted wall, the business man emitted a frustrated sigh and kicked his foot against the metal leg of his desk, instantly cursing when a stab of pain shot through his calf. Fuck.

His concentration was far off, leaving him in a shitty mood and with a ton of papers lying across his mahogany desk. He'd lost his first trial in almost eight months today and it sucked big time. It had been a long shot, but if anyone could pull it off, it would've been him. A bad outcome was not what he'd had in mind when he put on his suit that morning. Seeing the victory in his opponent's eyes had made David want to punch someone. He'd always been a sore loser.

After another five minutes of staring absentmindedly at the depressing dark wall paint the interior designer Sedric had hired a few months ago had chosen, David grunted and pushed his chair back. He needed a fucking drink. Taking his taupe suit jacket from the peg he'd hung it on earlier, he made his way out of the office. "I'm leaving," he announced as he passed his secretary, not sparing the woman a glance.

"Already?" Elena asked in surprise, her voice sugary sweet. He didn't need to look at her to know she was pouting. It had been a mistake to hire someone based on their looks. David had known it the moment he looked over the unorganized mess Elena had made out of his schedule. The woman had two massive assets and beautiful blonde hair that reached her firm ass, but her tits were nowhere impressive enough to make up for the bad work she performed. He'd already discussed firing her with Sedric, but he still needed to find the courage to tell the blonde bimbo. Asshole or not, he hated disappointing people and he didn't think it was going to go over well. Elena was the type of woman that would cause a huge scene, not exactly something David was looking forward to. It would teach him for hiring someone with no real qualities except for her appearance.

Not one to explain, David ignored his secretary and pushed the elevator button. Hopefully a few pints of beer and a good fuck would brighten his mood. It certainly would help to clear his mind, if only for a few hours. Thoughts of a naked Stephanie Hoffman immediately bombarded his mind, making his cock stiff as a board. Lately, sex instantly seemed to be linked with her in his brain. The woman was a damned minx created by the devil himself. He would call her if he actually thought she'd bother to pick up.

Stepping into the elevator when it finally arrived, David cast a quick look into the mirror hanging against the metal walls and cringed. His hair was a disheveled mess from running his hands through the ashen locks multiple times and his face looked like a truck had run over it, his lips turned downward and his eyes vacant. He looked like his freaking puppy died. How pathetic.

Crossing the busy New York avenue, David maneuvered through the crowd, flipping his middle finger at some stupid taxi driver that honked when he stepped in front of the cab. It was a free country. The man better watch out. It wasn't like anyone properly obeyed to traffic laws in the city.

A good ten minutes later, David finally arrived at the familiar bar he usually spent his lonely nights at. He'd barely crossed the threshold when Joel, the owner, called out his name. Grinning, David greeted the man and sat down on the stool he usually occupied. "You're early. Rough day?" Joel was known to always listen to his customers without ever repeating their stories. He acted like a damned shrink sometimes.

"Rough week."

It all started Tuesday night when he arrived at his mother's house after work. He'd barely made it inside when he knew something was epically wrong. With puffy red eyes she'd greeted him. She'd been crying, holding the old, wrinkled picture of his father in her hands, her face pale. Until that moment, David hadn't realized the date. It had been the five year anniversary of his father's death. The man had passed away after a sudden heart attack. One day he was alive and kicking, the next he was gone. David had felt like shit. He should've remembered, should've been there for his mom. The poor woman was a complete mess.