At the center of the storm

I hand them a piece of paper burnt around the edges that I had hidden inside the undergarments of my shirt. 

Shezade Ayse examines it carefully and replies rhetorically , "They match?" 

"Yes Sultanum." 

"Whose handwriting is this?" She asks authoritatively. 

"Who told you that Kosem sultan sent the letter? Can you trust that person?" I ask her urgently completely ignoring her question.

"I asked you a question slave." She replies loudly. 

There is a knock on the door and Ayse in frustration allows the person the door

It is Suleyman Agha.

"Sehzade there has been no word. I fear that your servant has been intercepted."

I always felt wary of Suleyman Aggha. According to what Aisha told me he was one of the servants that was suppose to take care of the sehzades execution and I had seen him with Kara Davud Pasha during Sultan Mustafa's reign. 

If he had brought the letter then my suspicions towards the writer to the letter would be verified. 

Kosem Sultan would never trust someone like him to give the letter.

But I know someone else who trusted him. 

"What did you say?" Mehmed asks anxiously

"You may leave." Ayse Sultan orders him in a frustrated tone.

"Ayse sultan. I fear for the Sehzades life, I don't know if you are aware but Sultan Osman changed the law. Now the successor of Ottoman Empire would now be passed from father to son instead of from the eldest and the wisest.

"What?" Sehzade Mehmed asks in surprise. 

What. How was I not aware of this. 

Does this mean he could kill Mehmed?

No. This letter is without a doubt a trap and Suleyman Agha is trying to lure us into it. Besides Sultan Osman could have just done this to show that he was now in control. He likes being in control. That's probably it. 

"I would advise you to leave at once" Suleyman Agha comments. He finally notices me and looks surprised to see me here. 

"We will wait." Sultan Ayse emphasizes again.

"Ayse it is not your neck that is in danger. It is mine." Mehmed begins arguing with Sultan Ayse.

I can't trust Suleyman Agha.

"Ayse Sultan. I agree with Suleyman Agha and Sehzade Mehmed. We shouldn't wait around for confirmation. We should take action right now."

Ayse sultan looks at me confused.

I nod my head in assurance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Shezade Mehmed we must hurry." 

Ayse Sultan, Mehmed, Suleyman Agha and I head towards a tunnel that is located at the far end of the palace. 

"Suleyman Agha." I stop him as we reach the end of the hallway.

"What is it slave girl?" He asks irritated.

"I need you to guard this hallway. No one should find out about Sehzade Mehmed's escape. No one. Especially not Sultan Osman."

"Yes of course."

I head towards the tunnel that was suppose to lead outside the palace when I see Sultan Ayse emerge from there, she nods towards me. 

"May Allah protect Mehmed. Good job Suleyman Agha. Just make sure no one finds out about his escape." Ayse Sultan announces.

"As you wish Sultanum." Suleyman Agha replies.

Ayse Sultan looks at me and comments, "Let's go slave."

I bow my head and begin following  her as she leaves the area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Do you really believe this will work?" 

"I believe it will Sultanum."

It has to. 

We have no other choice.  

"I swear if something happens, I will have your head."

"Understood."

 Sehzade Ayse takes a deep breath and knocks on the door. 

"You may enter." A voice from inside the room instructs us.

I open the door for the sultanum and we enter. 

There we see Lala Omer Effendi, Sultan Osman and there is also Suleymen Agha. 

He seems very frightened by our presence.

Right in the middle of the trap.

"Ayse?" Sultan Osman asks.

"Brother. Pardon my intrusion but somebody wants to meet you very much. Shall I bring him?"

"Not right now Ayse I am busy."

Despite the rejection the person enters the room with the utmost confidence and walks into the room with an air of importance. 

"Sultan Osman." He greets with a smile wide and bows slightly. 

"Mehmed!" Exclaims Osman and turns towards Suleyman Agha, who is now losing his confidence. 

"My majesty. I wanted to discuss a grave matter that is of most importance to the security of the palace." 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Suleyman Agha is taken and imprisoned and we become confident that Sultan Osman believes us when he asks everyone to leave and only Mehmed to remain in his chambers with him.

No. 

I begin panicking.  Why does he need to see him in private?