Meeting Prince Mehmed

After cleaning the palace and attending our classes,  I sat down on my bed to read a new book that my teacher had just given to me today. The rest of the girls either seemed to be heading to bed or chatting about their day. I hadn't run into Jannat since yesterday's events and I was starting to get worried.

I broke out of my concentration and began eyeing around the harem to spot Jannat. I finally spotted her near the door of the harem, she was about to enter when Aisha passed by and she stopped her, whispered something in her ears and Aisha nodded at Jannat and Jannat left. I briefly had an eye contact with Aisha and then went back to reading my book.

 Aisha came up to me and sat down right beside me with the widest smile on her face. 

After a few minutes I finally asked her,  "Yes?"

"I just met Jannat. She ordered me to get a slave girl ready. You know, Prince Mehmed has chosen a girl to be presented to him tonight." 

My mind automatically went to Laila. 

So apparently Laila's deductions were right.  

"Well I am happy for Laila." I responded and continue to read. 

"Clarisse? He has chosen you." Aisha whispered. 

"What?" I respond, losing concentration from my book.

"You're going to become a sultanum." Aisha replied excitedly but in a low voice. 

Fear was setting into my heart. 

"No no no. I don't want to be presented to Prince Mehmed." I replied to Aisha in horror.

"Clarisse, the prince himself has chosen you. There is no choice." Aisha realized in that moment that I was truly terrified of being presented.

I slowly got up from my bed and started walking towards the Harem doors, I tried to stay relaxed enough not to crash into someone. 

I barely made it out of the harem and grabbed on of the wall for support. I wanted to scream, I wanted to shout and cry. Aisha came after me.

 "Clarisse please relax what's wrong with you?"  Aisha grabbed me and patted my back gently.

"I don't want to be a concubine. I don't want to be anyone's concubine." I replied honestly.

"Why? You'll be adored with riches and you'll have  a chance to even become a sultanum." Aisha reassured.

"What about love? What about freedom? What about living a life where you are not worried about getting killed?" I asked Aisha rhetorically.

Aisha was silent for a moment and then continued, "You are one of the most beautiful, intelligent and brilliant girls I have come to know. Inshallah, Prince Mehmed will see that and fall madly in love with you and take care of your freedom and protect you from any and all types of enemies."

I wasn't motivated by Aisha's commentary. But I let her take me to the hamam to get prepared.

As I showered I thought about the handsome stranger in the hallway. I thought about his smile and how I felt safe in his presence. How after 5 years of living in pain and misery I felt a ray of happiness.

Aisha dressed me in a beautiful light blue dress. It was sleeveless, she let my hair hang down and scented me with a beautiful aroma. She even put some light jewelry in my hair.

 She even put some light jewelry in my hair

"You look beautiful mashallah." Aisha reassured me with a smile.

I smiled back at her.

The walk to Prince Mehmed's chamber as a long one. I kept reminding myself that I had to forget any feelings that I had for anyone. I had to become stone cold. I had to become the Clarisse Barnes that had managed to survive all the hardships life had put me into.  

I had to let go of the hope. I had to just feel nothing.

As I entered the chambers I kept  my head down and sat on the floor. I waited for steps to approach me. As I waited my heart started beating  faster and my hair on my arms rose. As the steps began approaching me my heart suddenly screamed 'No I want to be happy, I want to feel hope and I will die before I throw that chance away.'

In a sudden moment of panic I got up to run away and I crashed myself into the prince.

"Clarisse are you okay?" The prince asked me, as he grabbed me.

How does he know my name?

I looked up and finally saw the face of the prince. 

It was him.

It was the handsome stranger.