Sultan Mustafa's reign

When histories will look back at Sultan Mustafa I reign they will probably scoff at how short his reign was. 

However, ask anyone who was alive during those four months and they will all tell you the same thing. It had been one of the longest and the hardest time period of our lives. 

                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A month had passed since Mehmed and Sehzade Osman were arrested and nearly the entire system of the Topkapi palace had changed drastically. Many slave girls had been dismissed to the Old palace and new girls who had been serving Dilruba Sultan has been bought to the Harem to serve.   

Our classes, sleeping and resting hours had been reduced and we would spend more time either cleaning the palace  or serving Halime and Dilruba Sultan.  I wasn't sure how Menekşe Hatun had divided work between the slave girls but I would end up directly serving Dilruba Sultan; it would vary from having to serve food or helping her in the hamam. 

I had originally assumed that Dilruba Sultan being a princess and the aunt of Kosem Sultan's prince she would be more logical about Sultan Mustafa's enthronement and that I could perhaps convince her to free the princes. However I was disappointed to learn that my assumption was wrong and that she was cruel and heartless beyond expectations. She had no respect for anyone in the entire palace, between having her brother ascend the throne, being a princess herself and being married to the Grand Vizier Kara Davud Pasha she had become intoxicated with power.

After spending so many days serving her and having her view me as one of her favorite servants  I promised myself that under no condition would I ever become enemies with her. However despite this promise she would become the second person on my long list of enemies.

                                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One night after 3 month since Sultan Mustafa's enthronement I come back much late from serving Dilruba Sultan to the harem. The lights had been out and I was going to head straight to my bed when I noticed the Aisha was still not in her bed. It was a normal occurrence for Aisha to be the last person to head to bed however she had never been this late. My heart began worrying and my curious soul forced me to venture out and find my friend. 

 Ever since the night I had spent with Sehzade Mehmed, Aisha and I had become quite close. Even though she would often refuse to discuss her past with me I felt like I could genuinely trust her and it was because of this genuine sense of trust I knew I had to find out where Aisha was and if she was okay. 

                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I was venturing through the halls I found myself going towards Sultana's chambers and I got closer I could have sworn I heard conversations taking place.

 "Aisha?" I heard a familiar call out.

"Yes Valide Sultan?" Aisha replied. I could recognize her voice anywhere. Wait why was she speaking to Valide Sultan.

"I want you to get ready in the hamam you are to be presented to our hunkar and please do not leave him until he says so himself." Valide Sultan ordered. Aisha was going to be presented to Sultan Mustafa?

"As you command, Valide." Aisha replied.

"Also Aisha I want good news. My first grandchild should be a sehzade." Valide Sultan commanded.

 There was a slight hesitation before Aisha sultan responded, "I will not disappoint you Valide Sultan."

I waited until I heard the chambers door close and saw Aisha steps approaching my direction. I quickly grabbed Aisha and pulled her to my side. Before I could utter a single word Aisha answered me with a defeated look, "Please don't ask me anything Clarisse. This matter is far too complicated."