CHAPTER 47 - HEART TO HEART

Start from the beginning

Worry etched on Jayden's strikingly handsome face as he wondered what on earth could have been the cause.

Just then, a middle-aged Ethiopian doctor walked out of the room Mrs. Benson had been rushed into and approached the three people who appeared to have been hit with epidemic anxiety.

"How is she?" Mr. Benson immediately asked, "What happened?"

The doctor replied, "After a series of tests conducted, it came to our knowledge that Mrs. Benson had an overdose of the beta-adrenergic antagonist drug, commonly known as the beta blocker."

"What?" Mr. Benson, Jayden, and Katy exclaimed.

"Traces were found in her blood-"

"But my wife has never taken a beta blocker before. She's never had a problem with her heart."

"Based on the test results, she suffered a beta blocker overdose and was 75% close to having bradycardia."

"Brody- what?" Katy questioned.

The doctor explained, "Bradycardia, a heart problem whereby the rate at which the heart beats at rest is oddly slow. At rest, the heart beats from sixty to hundred times a minute. Your wife's is temporarily ranging from fifty-five to sixty-one. If she had been brought in twenty minutes later, she could have suffered a cardiac arrest, or worse..."

Jayden murmured, "This is strange."

"Very," his father agreed, as well as Katy, bobbing her head in nods.

"What could have possibly caused this? Dad," Jayden turned to his father, "How do you not know about the beta blocker?"

"Because she doesn't have any," Mr. Benson emphasized, "If she did, I would know, you know that."

Jayden shook his head, "It doesn't make sense. It just doesn't."

Brie... Katy thought, definitely Brie.

***

After having a lengthy talk with his father who had advised him to go back to his girlfriend since he was there to take care of Mrs. Benson, Jayden drove an hour and forty-five minutes back to the lakehouse, his mind clouded by his mother's hospitalization.

It wasn't clear, but they'd have to wait for her own words. Maybe she had been using the beta blocker in secret.

If so, why? Why would she keep it a secret from them?

And if it had been the work of someone else, whose was it? Why and how did this happen?

"What happened?" Lara who was now in a short crimson red nightdress, sat up on the bed when Jayden had silently entered the room. She had freshly taken a shower when he had left, her long wavy black hair cascading down the side of her perky bosom as the bedroom lit up with the welcoming smell of lilies and mint.

"How's your mum?" she asked.

Jayden was silent as he pulled off his jacket and put it on the arm of the sofa in the room.

"Are you okay?" Lara hurriedly descended the bed to get closer to him, "Is Mrs. Benson okay?" she desperately searched his weary eyes.

"She," he paused, avoiding her inquisitive gaze, "I don't understand. It just doesn't make any sense."

"What? What happened, Jay?" her voice culminated.

Sighing, he walked towards the glass window at the opposite side of the room and stared outside at the beauty of the lake that transcended the boundaries of the flourishing land.