Divergent Chapter 15 - Visiting Day

A/N: Thank you so much to everyone who reviewed the last chapter! You're a fantastic group of readers, and I really appreciate your support. Thank you also to my wonderful beta reader, Rosalie!

"Divergent" Chapter 15 – Visiting Day

I normally avoid the Pit on Visiting Day. It's not that I'm afraid my father will make an appearance – I know he'd never set foot inside this faction. It's more that I don't like being around so many happy families. Seeing them reminds me of what I've never had and probably never will have.

But I'm here today for a very specific purpose. Andrew Prior might show up to visit Tris, and he's one of the leaders of the city. I can't say I know him well – I've only ever seen him from a distance – but if I tell him what the Erudite are planning, he's in a position to do something about it. And a large part of me would rather warn him than Marcus, particularly if Andrew is anything like his daughter. So, I'm determined to get him alone, away from the cameras, and somehow say the words.

It's impossible not to be nervous. I stare at the chasm, thinking about exactly what to say. Excuse me, sir. I know my father has told you I'm unstable and not to be trusted, and I've been teaching your daughter to beat others to a bloody pulp, but you need to believe me that you're going to be attacked. And you need to defy your faction's entire set of values to defend yourselves.

I lean over the railing, watching the water crash and feeling the mist on my face while I try to unclench my stomach. There's no way to pretend this will go well, or easily. But it's probably the best chance I'll get to warn the Abnegation, and I can't do nothing. Even if that's what they choose to do in response.

"He's handsome," I hear behind me. The voice is unfamiliar, but it's not an uncommon statement around here, so I don't bother to look until I hear the laugh. Something is different about it – or more accurately, familiar. It's the kind of laughter I grew up hearing, a moment of humor breaking through a careful and polite veneer. I look over my shoulder.

Tris is standing there with her mother, Natalie Prior. I knew she'd probably visit today, but somehow I'm still unprepared for the sight of her. She's dressed entirely in gray, in the clothing that all Abnegation women wear, and that brings up memories of my own mother from when I was very young, along with the good aspects of my former faction.

"Hello," she says, walking up to me without hesitation and extending her hand. "My name is Natalie. I'm Beatrice's mother."

I take her outstretched hand, shaking it awkwardly. I'm not sure I'll ever master this particular skill.

"Four," I answer. "It's nice to meet you." But a cold weight is sinking into my stomach. Her husband isn't here, and I don't know if it's a good idea to talk to Natalie about an upcoming war. She's a total unknown for me, and this information is much too dangerous to toss around casually.

Her eyes are neutral as she comments, "Four? Is that a nickname?"

"Yes," I answer simply, not explaining. I'm certainly not going to reveal my real name in front of Tris. Besides, this day is supposed to be about the initiates, not me. So, I add, "Your daughter is doing well here. I've been overseeing her training."

Tris gives me a hard look, and I have to work to avoid sighing. She's obviously still angry about the knife-throwing.

Natalie, on the other hand, smiles politely. "That's good to hear. I know a few things about Dauntless initiation, and I was worried about her."

The comment is surprising, since she shouldn't know anything about this faction's training process, but I suppose she's heard some things from the factionless. A large percentage of them are former Dauntless, and the Abnegation spend a lot of time helping them.

I look at Tris automatically, watching her reaction to her mother's statement. She looks stern and fierce and brave, as she always does.

"You shouldn't worry," I say. Oddly, the comment makes Tris blush.

Natalie tilts her head at me. "You look familiar for some reason, Four," she states idly. Except that the Abnegation don't say things like that idly. She recognizes me. I need to keep the conversation from going in that direction.

"I can't imagine why," I reply coldly. "I don't make a habit of associating with the Abnegation."

Natalie laughs lightly, a sound intended to relax tension, and it works. I feel myself calming down. "Few people do, these days," she says in a friendly tone. "I don't take it personally."

I nod, realizing that this is a good time to end the conversation. "Well," I say, "I'll leave you to your reunion." I don't look at Tris again before walking away from them. I need to figure out what to do, and it won't help to be distracted by her mesmerizing eyes. Or to be reminded that she hates me now.

For reasons that aren't entirely clear to me, I make my way to the control room. Amy is on duty today, and she raises an eyebrow when she sees me.

"What are you doing here?" she asks.

I shrug. "I don't want to chit-chat with the initiates' families," I tell her, "but I'm supposed to keep an eye on who comes. So, I figured I'd watch from here."

She seems to buy it, turning back to the screens as she yawns widely, and we both watch in silence for a while.

The monitors rotate between images, but I catch Tris often enough to see where she goes. She and her mother talk with some of the other families, and for a moment, it looks like Tris is about to get into a fight with whoever is here from Will's family – his sister, I suspect. That's not really a surprise, given the tension between Erudite and Abnegation.

Natalie drags her daughter away to prevent the fight, and I watch as they head into a hallway that's well hidden from the Pit. That's strange. I know for a fact that that particular hallway is rarely used, and only by those of us who have lived here for a while.

The two of them pass by the first two cameras in the hallway, but they must stop in the blind spot before the third one, because they completely disappear from the surveillance. I wait for them to reappear, but as time drags by, two things gradually become clear.

First, Tris' mother grew up in Dauntless. Second, she's talking to her daughter about something she doesn't want observed. Obviously, there's more to Natalie than I thought.

It's not enough to convince me that I should tell her about Erudite's plans, but it is enough to make me want to talk to her more, to help me decide. I say bye to Amy and head down to the Pit, watching the entrance to the hallway where they were talking. Eventually, Tris emerges alone. I wait longer, but Natalie doesn't come into sight, and when I finally walk down the hallway to find her, she's nowhere along it.

She must have left the compound while I was walking down from the control room, or she took another exit…. Frustration and relief war within me, fueled by the anxiety of spending all day trying to figure out what to say, only to be deprived of the opportunity to even try.

Maybe it's just as well. It would almost certainly have been a mistake to entrust information like this to someone I don't know. And it would have been absurdly dangerous to reveal it within the Dauntless compound, no matter how quiet a spot I might find.

There's still time, I tell myself. I'll just have to find another way to warn them.

A/N: I know this is a short chapter, but hopefully it will tide you over until I can get the next one ready. Please take a moment to let me know what you thought of it. Also, please check out my new "Prior Rings" story if you haven't seen it yet. Thanks!