Divergent Chapter 10 - Peter Versus Tris

A/N: Thank you so much to those lovely people who reviewed the last chapter! I really, really appreciate the support. Thank you also to my wonderful beta reader, Rosalie, who always does such a good job with a super-fast turnaround time.

"Divergent" Chapter 10 – Peter Versus Tris

Eric is in the training room before me the next morning, and it's obvious from his sour expression that Max has already talked to him. I wish he'd agreed to do more, instead of making it clear that Eric is in charge as long as he doesn't kill anyone. But at least he said he'd draw the line on acceptable punishments.

Unfortunately, it quickly becomes clear that Eric has found a way to get his revenge. He's written today's pairs on the board, and he has Tris fighting Peter. A sick feeling washes through me. She's half his size, and there's no way she's developed enough skill to counter that yet.

For a moment, I just look at the board, trying to figure out how to approach this. In many ways, I know it's a mistake to say anything. I do. But I can't leave her to that fate without at least making an effort to change it.

"Peter versus Tris?" I ask mockingly, my voice implying that Eric is acting like an idiot. "Exactly how does that further either of their training?"

"We only want the best in Dauntless," Eric says, the vicious smile on his face showing how much he's enjoying this. "So the sooner we knock that scrawny little Stiff out of here, the better."

"That scrawny little Stiff," I respond as evenly as I can, "jumped first. So, clearly she has some potential. And the purpose of training is supposed to be giving everyone a chance to–" But Eric cuts me off.

"The purpose of training is to give Dauntless the best new members it can! And we already have too many Stiffs around here as it is." His smirk makes it abundantly clear that this is all about me, not Tris.

At least that gives me an excuse…. I step closer to him, letting my anger show as I prepare for the fight he obviously wants. He may be a leader, but Dauntless never frowns on responding violently to an insult. I won't get in much trouble for this.

We're only a foot away from each other, our hands fisted and our muscles tensed, when the first initiates walk through the door. I almost groan in response. It would be a very bad idea to let this go any further in front of the transfers. Besides, there's no way Eric will change the pairings now – not after people have already seen them. I've lost this battle.

I take a deep breath, shooting Eric one last look before turning away and walking to a spot near the wall. Maybe Peter will knock her out quickly, without causing too much harm. It's the best I can hope for.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first fight is quick. Edward flattens Molly thoroughly, leaving her barely able to peel herself off the floor, dazed and unable to stand without help. Even Eric has to admit she can't continue, despite the fact that she's technically still conscious.

Really, though, I think he's just anxious to get to the main event. Tris and Peter are next.

Her face is determined as she enters the ring, and I know immediately that even if the rules allowed her to concede, she never would. She'll fight with everything in her, no matter how unlikely it is that she'll win. I have to admire that.

"You okay there, Stiff?" Peter taunts her, and I cross my arms over my chest to hide how my hands have balled into fists.

"You look like you're about to cry," he adds. "I might go easy on you if you cry."