Insurgent Chapter 6 - Peace Serum

A/N: Thank you to everyone who reviewed the last chapter, and to my wonderful beta reader, Rosalie!

"Insurgent" Chapter 6 – Peace Serum

I wake up before Tris, watching her as my night's dreams slowly fade away. She looks peaceful now, her youth showing in a way that it rarely does when she's awake.

It's hard to remember my life before she entered it, even though that was barely a month ago. She has taken over my thoughts to a degree that would be disturbing if it weren't such an improvement.

My fingers stroke her hair very lightly, enjoying the softness. There's no way to deny how much I like having her in my bed. And it's not just because of what we almost did last night – as incredible as that felt, it was honestly just as nice to hold her afterwards. It's a closeness that I want to repeat as often as possible.

Eventually, though, more and more light begins filtering through the curtains, and I know that we have to get up and face the day. We need to finish our preparations if we're going to leave this faction tomorrow.

I let Tris sleep just a little longer as I slip out of bed, pulling my clothing on quietly before grabbing the electric razor. It's awkward to shave here, using just the small mirror over the dresser instead of the one that I had in my bathroom in Dauntless. It makes me wonder how the Abnegation manage without mirrors at all, particularly since they use straight razors. I was too young to shave when I lived there, so I never learned, but I can't imagine that it's easy.

Not surprisingly, it's Tris who draws me out of my thoughts. Out of the corner of my eyes, I see her moving, sitting up on the bed and hugging her knees to her.

"Good morning," I tell her over the buzz of the razor. "How did you sleep?"

"Okay." She climbs out of bed, stretching as I begin shaving my chin. I'm vaguely startled when she wraps her arms around me from behind, pressing her forehead against my back – right over where I know my Dauntless tattoo rests.

It's a pleasant way to start the day, and I turn off the razor, setting it down in favor of folding my hands over hers and holding her close. I could definitely get used to this.

"I should go get ready," she finally mutters, clearly as reluctant to leave as I am to let her go. But she's supposed to work a shift in the laundry rooms this morning, and we need to stay on the Amity's good side until tomorrow.

So, I sigh as I pull away. "I'll get you something to wear."

It's a quick trip to the stockroom, and I only spend a moment mulling over the clothing options. There's nothing here that's truly her size, so I ultimately decide to just collect a pair of shorts for her – ones that she can wear at night as readily as during the day. Maybe that will help her feel comfortable joining me in bed again....

Tris smiles as she takes them, thanking me quietly, and I turn my back like a considerate boyfriend while she puts them on. It's more tempting than it should be to peek.

I finish shaving once she heads back to her room, taking a moment afterwards to straighten up the space and make the bed. It's an old habit from my childhood that I never lost.

I'm halfway down the corridor toward breakfast when I hear a loud scream coming from the direction of Tris' room. My body launches itself there automatically, but then I freeze, uncertain what to make of the sight that greets me.

Peter is crouched down, agony written all over his face as he lunges at Tris, punching her in the stomach. My hands ball into instant fists, but she reacts before I can get there through the crowd that has already formed around them. With a cry of pure rage, she races at Peter, her elbow ready to strike.