"Insurgent" Chapter 2 - Voting

A/N: Thank you to everyone who reviewed the last chapter, and to my wonderful beta reader, Rosalie! As a reminder to anyone who might not remember, the Amity bake peace serum (which is essentially pot) into their bread. At this point in the story, Tris and Tobias don't know that, but you can definitely see the effect on Tobias' mood across the chapters they're in Amity.

"Insurgent" Chapter 2 – Voting

I wake up early, feeling unsettled all the way through me. But at the same time, my body lets me know that it's hungry, which is hardly surprising given I didn't eat all day yesterday. So, I return to the cafeteria, taking extra servings of everything they offer and sitting at a table by myself. Not many people are up yet, anyway, and I'm not at all inclined to socialize.

It shouldn't surprise me that the food is good – fresh, of course, since it's grown here – and clearly designed to give pleasure to whoever eats it. I help myself to additional toast and eggs before deciding that it's probably time to wake Tris up.

Breakfast was definitely a good decision, I realize as I walk the cheery corridors of this faction. It's remarkable how much better I feel now. It also seems to wake up the thoughtful part of my brain, because I'm halfway to Tris' room when it occurs to me that she could undoubtedly use a pain-killer to help with her gunshot wound.

So, I change direction, heading back to the infirmary where they helped Tris last night. A young woman in yellow is quick to come to my side, asking what I need. She looks sad when I explain, as if she doesn't like the thought of anyone being injured. It's actually kind of nice to be in a faction that cares about others so much, without everyone being required to ignore themselves in the process the way the Abnegation are.

She returns with a nurse, who is equally kind as he gives me a container of pain medicine, along with instructions on how to use it. As I'm leaving, he even directs me to a stockroom where I can acquire Amity clothing, commenting gently that I'll probably feel more comfortable here if I'm not wearing Dauntless black.

It's a considerate statement, and I select a dark red T-shirt, swapping my filthy black one for it right there, since no one else is in sight. I opt to keep my jeans, though. They're still okay to wear, and I'm hesitant to change those in the stockroom, just in case someone does walk in.

By the time I finally make my way toward Tris' room again, the hallways are filled with people. The entire faction seems to be awake now, buzzing with conversation about their visitors and about the meeting that will be held in a half-hour to decide if we can stay. That's not much time, and it reinforces the need to wake Tris up soon.

Fortunately, she seems to already be up, since she answers my knock immediately.

"Come in," she calls, and I open the door, stepping only halfway in. She's still sitting on her bed, and I don't want to invade her privacy.

Leaning against the doorframe, I tell her, "The Amity are meeting in a half hour, to decide our fate." It sounds kind of funny now that I voice it aloud.

Tris shakes her head as she stands, moving over to me. "Never thought my fate would be in the hands of a bunch of Amity."

"Me either," I admit freely. I feel oddly chatty today – and considerably more relaxed than yesterday. Maybe that's just Amity's influence. They're all so friendly here.

The thought reminds me of where I was fifteen minutes ago. "Oh, I brought you something." Taking out the bottle I got at the infirmary, I prepare a dose for her, adding "Pain medicine. Take a dropperful every six hours."