Divergent Chapter 11 - The Fence

A/N: Thank you so much to everyone who reviewed the last chapter (and to the guest who let me know about a typo - I really appreciate that)! Thank you also to my wonderful beta reader, Rosalie!

By the way, so far, more people have voted for having the knife-throwing scene be in Tobias' POV, so I'll probably do that (unless there's an outpouring for Al's POV between now and when I write it). If I do that, maybe I'll write Al's POV as a stand-alone fic at some point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Divergent" Chapter 11 – The Fence

It looks like Eric is skipping the field trip. At least that's what I have to assume, since he still hasn't shown up, and I can now hear the horn of the approaching train.

I glance back, momentarily worried about leaving Tris in the compound with him, but to my relief, I see she's finally made it. Her movements are pained, and her face is badly bruised, but she's here. Once again, I have to give her credit for resiliency.

I turn back to the tracks, standing as close as possible – right on the line where I know I'm safe but where one inch closer would get me hurt. It's a technique I learned from Amar. It intimidates the initiates and makes me look more Dauntless without actually putting me in any danger.

Once it's time to board, I step back, planning to let the initiates climb on before me. That plan vanishes when Will steps up first, flopping inelegantly into the car on his stomach and dragging himself the rest of the way in. I sigh. That's not the example I want the others following, so I jump on myself, my motions smooth, giving them a better model to imitate.

Somehow, I'm not surprised when Tris follows right behind me, trying to be next despite her injuries. I'm about to extend a hand to help her in when Al lumbers up behind her, grabbing her under her arms and lifting her into the car. An odd feeling shoots through me at the sight, but I shake it off, watching as the others board one by one. No one is left behind.

The squabbling begins immediately.

"Feeling okay there?" Peter asks mockingly, "or are you a little…Stiff?" He's obviously talking to Tris, and I tighten my hand around the grab bar I'm next to, trying to hide my anger as he laughs. It's bad enough that he beat her – and enjoyed it – but does he have to be insulting about it too?

"We are all awed by your incredible wit," Will answers him.

"Yeah, are you sure you don't belong with the Erudite, Peter?" Christina asks. "I hear they don't object to sissies."

Part of me is glad that her friends are sticking up for her, but I really don't want more reminders of what happened yesterday. I'm sure Tris doesn't, either.

"Am I going to have to listen to your bickering all the way to the fence?" I ask caustically, letting my eyes roam over all of them. They instantly grow silent. Good.

Turning back to the car's opening, I grab the handle on either side and lean out as far as I can, enjoying the feeling of the wind whipping against me. I don't go for many of the typical Dauntless thrills, but I do enjoy this one.

We move gradually to the edges of the city, the buildings getting progressively more damaged as we go and then slowly petering out, replaced by yellow fields. I considered living out here, after I go factionless. It's far away from the Dauntless leaders, and from my parents. I figured I could find an old building and fix up an apartment in it, maybe even plant crops in one of the open fields….

But I opted for a spot closer to the factions. There's nowhere to plant crops there, but it's far easier to stay hidden, and that will be important once the war starts. I've already picked out an apartment and stocked it with supplies. I just have to get through training and make sure Uriah is safe. And Tris. I won't abandon her, either.