Insurgent Chapter 8 - Factionless

A/N: Sorry this chapter took forever to post! It's another long one, and I've been crazy-short on writing time lately, particularly time when I have "Insurgent" available to use as I write, so I wasn't able to get it done sooner. I did, however, get the second epilogue to "Determinant" posted this weekend, along with this chapter here, so I was happy about that!

Anyway, thank you to everyone who reviewed the last chapter, and to my wonderful beta reader, Rosalie! I really appreciate the support. :-)

"Insurgent" Chapter 8 – Factionless

We're beyond tired as we make our way along the railroad tracks toward the city. Tris is the most awake of the group, seemingly filled with too much anxiety to leave room for exhaustion. Caleb and Susan, on the other hand, are barely mobile. They shuffle behind us, fatigue and defeat evident in everything about them.

My own body is dragging, and I walk on the rail to keep myself alert. The effort of balancing with every step forces me to pay attention, even if Caleb gives me a strange look, as if he thinks it's childish behavior.

We all pause when Tris bends down, pressing her hands to the rail and closing her eyes. She must hear something.

"It's coming," she tells us as she stands again, brushing her palms on her jeans. "I think we should get on."

It's probably our only choice at the moment, but before I can respond, Caleb does. "Even if it's run by the Erudite?"

I answer him automatically. "If the Erudite were running the train, they would have taken it to the Amity compound to look for us." It's an obvious enough fact that I wonder for a moment why Caleb didn't think of it, but then I see the weariness and grief on his face, and I remember that he never learned how to keep going through events like today's.

So, in a somewhat gentler tone, I add, "I think it's worth the risk. We'll be able to hide in the city. Here we're just waiting for them to find us." They're so tired, they barely nod as we move to the side of the tracks.

Tris sways a little on her feet, and I think about helping her, but I know how truly strong she is. She'll make it onto the train just fine. Susan is more of a problem, so I turn my attention to her as Caleb quietly explains how to jump onto a moving locomotive. His instructions are certainly detailed.

Somewhat to my surprise, she follows them well, with Caleb helping to get her into a car before leaping in himself. Tris joins them shortly afterwards, though badly – her legs dangle over the edge for a frighteningly long moment before her brother hauls her the rest of the way in. I swing into the car behind her, using the handle the way I typically do.

Immediately, my eyes search out Tris, wanting to make sure she's all right, but the sight that greets me is far from reassuring. She's staring across the car to where several people are hidden in the shadows.

My gun is instantly in my hand, but I'm no faster than the man who levels his own at me. He's wearing factionless clothing, I realize quickly. So is the older woman who stands beside him, a knife held in front of her. Near them, another man holds a long plank of wood with a nail sticking out of it. They're all clearly ready to attack us.

But on the bright side, at least they're not Dauntless traitors.... So, we stand warily, assessing each other, rather than starting an actual fight.

"I've never seen the Amity armed before," the woman with the knife says. My eyes move over her only briefly before returning to the man with the gun.

It's not until he speaks that I recognize him. "They aren't Amity. They're Dauntless." A large eye patch covers part of his face, but there's no mistaking the voice. Edward. The initiate whose eye Peter stabbed with a butter knife. Suddenly, I'm glad that Tris' nemesis is no longer with us.