Divergent Chapter 14 - Tris Versus Molly

A/N: Thank you to everyone who reviewed the last chapter! Your support means so much. Thank you also to my wonderful beta reader, Rosalie!

"Divergent" Chapter 14 – Tris Versus Molly

I spend the evening figuring out the initiates' current rankings. There's only one day of fighting left, so it's important to pair them well for it. For some, that fight will determine if they're here for stage two or not.

It takes a long time to come up with the preliminary list, since it's not just a matter of how many rounds each person has won. I also have to consider how tough their opponents were. Plus, there's a little wiggle room to reward improvement and to punish bullying – not much, but a little.

When I finally finish, I evaluate the rankings for a while.

1. Edward

2. Peter

3. Molly

4. Will

5. Al

6. Christina

7. Drew

8. Tris

9. Myra

We always tell the initiates that the four who are cut could come entirely from the transfers or from the Dauntless-born or could be any mix of those, but in reality, the leaders always drop at least one from each group – and always at least two from the transfers. And that means Tris needs to improve her ranking tomorrow, or she'll be factionless.

I scan the list above her, trying to figure out who to match her with. Drew is scheduled to sit out tomorrow, and the three immediately above him are all Tris' friends. I don't know if she's willing to fight hard enough against them to win the way she needs. She has too much Abnegation left in her.

Besides, Christina can't afford to lose tomorrow, or she's likely to end up being cut, and she deserves the chance to continue too. I glance quickly at the options and realize that Christina has to fight Al – she's not good enough to beat Edward or Peter, and she wouldn't gain anything from beating Myra, and she's already fought Will and Molly, so Al is her only chance.

That leaves Molly as Tris' opponent. I debate that for a little while, thinking about how cruel Molly has been in her fights. But Tris is tough and brave, and if she uses the techniques I taught her, she could pull it off. It's the only real chance she has to stay in this faction, and she certainly deserves the opportunity.

I write down the pairs, placing Edward and Peter together and Myra with Will. She's out of here no matter what, since she hasn't won a fight yet and shows absolutely no aptitude for this faction, but at least he'll make it quick. He's not sadistic like some of the others.

Overall, it's a reasonable set of matches. Now, it's up to the initiates to earn their place here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tris isn't at breakfast in the morning. I try hard not to let that bother me, but I'm still haunted by the fury in her eyes yesterday, particularly after dreaming all night about throwing knives at her. It would be nice to see her laughing with her friends and acting normal, even if she still hates me.

Zeke is in rare form, going on about an elaborate prank he's planning on Shauna, but I can't seem to pay enough attention to grasp the details. He wraps it up with a statement about how long the static will hold the feathers to the ceiling before he looks at me expectantly, asking what I think.