Chapter 8: Mendel

Mendel's POV

Mendel leaned back in his chair, twiddling a pencil in his fingers. "And then he left! I thought that he loved me or something, but he left! What the hell does that mean? Not that I believe in love, or any of that crap, but I thought we had something!"

"Marvin," Mendel began, turning to the anxious man in the chair beside him, "Relax."

"Relax... Relax? I don't need to relax! He walked out on me! This is a big deal!" Marvin argued, gesturing wildly with his hands.

"Look, it might've seemed like a big deal, but it probably wasn't. You're sure he's not coming back?"

"Mendel! I swear to god... Would I be telling you this if I thought he was coming back?"

Mendel sighed, spinning around in his spinny office chair, before turning back to face Marvin. He could be... difficult at times. Marvin was a friend... sort of. Anyways, Mendel was a nice enough guy, so lots of people just told him stuff. Plus, he had always dreamed of being a psychiatrist, so this was good practice. He and Marvin talked a lot, in fact, Mendel was the one who helped Marvin through his breakup.

He had encouraged him to tell his girlfriend, Trina, that he was queer. It was quite surprising that he actually did it, but a pleasant surprise since Mendel liked Trina. A lot. She was a sweet girl, beautiful too. So, Mendel's inspiration for the breakup might've had something to do with that. Just maybe. Not like he would ever tell Marvin that.

"Okay, but he seriously left nothing? Just went out the door when you weren't looking?"

"I... I don't know! Okay! I have no clue! He just... ugh! Why is this so fucking hard to talk about?"

"It's okay, Marvin. Look, I'm sure he left some clue as to where he went. Wait! We could look for something! A sign! Solve the mystery! Like... I could be Sherlock Holmes and you could be Watson, or whatever his name is!"

Marvin rolled his eyes. "Have you even read Sherlock Holmes?"

"That's not the point, are we going to look for clues or not?"

"Mendel! Stop acting like my life is some mystery to be solved! Also, even if we did were, 'looking for clues,' or whatever the hell it is you want to do, you would be Dr. Watson."

"Look, the point is, Whizzer... That was his name, right? Whizzer knows where you live. If he wants to come back, he can!"

"What the fuck, Mendel? That's not comforting whatsoever. Well, I mean, maybe a little, but I don't want this guy just showing up whenever he wants. That's fucking creepy."

"Oh. Okay," Mendel sighed tiredly. "So, are we looking for clu-"

"Will you stop with the Sherlock Holmes shit?"

"So, is that a maybe?" Mendel asked hopefully.

"I'm gonna go," Marvin frowned, sliding his forest green jacket over his shoulders. 

"Text me if you want to talk again! Or call! Or email, but I don't check it very often, so I wouldn't recommend that! But you can if you want, Marvin!" Mendel called as Marvin walked out.  As the door slammed shut, he smiled to himself. 

That went pretty well, if he did say so himself.

———

"Hello?" Mendel asked groggily. It was early, too early to get up, but his phone was ringing and he felt obligated to answer. Who knew, maybe it was Marvin wanting another one of their 'sessions'. Mendel had to admit, he thought that he had given some stellar advice last time.