Part 24: 🧬

Zachary Dean Herron

The car soon came to a halt, where zach slid out of the car, reaching for Mabel's car handle when it swung open it's self.

"I can open a car door Zachary" She shot, pushing my hand away and stepping off herself. I laughed silently to myself as her walking pace fastened, leaving me to watch the blonde rushing off for no particular reason.

"Mae slow down, do you even know where your going?" I called, running after her.

"Of course i do. To the...Er...check up room..." She stutters, spinning around to face me. I chuckle and walked next to her, attempting to interlock or fingers but she moved her hand behind her back. I scoffed and kept walking, reaching the lady on the counter who looked too young to be working, let along at a hospital. I smirked and decided to play with Mabel's feelings a bit.

"Oh hey um..." i glanced at her name tag, Rachel "Rachel! Nice to see you again! I miss you and love you sooooo much" I say, grabbing her hand and planting a kiss on it. She just looked at me in confusion while Mabel just raised her eyebrow, looking at me.

"You know her?" Mabel asked, crossing her arms in front of her chest

"Oh of course, she's my girlfriend" I smirked, i couldn't sworn Mabel tensed up and practically shot daggers at Rachel.

"Do i know y—" Rachel asked, removing her hand from Zach

"Yes of course!  Your my girlfriend!" I exclaim "would you kindly make an appointment for Mabel Mora here for a check-up with the doctor she was with last time?" Rachel nodded and looked at her computer, doing some clicks and asked "a quick check-up?"

"Yes that's the one" I reply. Rachel confirmed the appointment and told us to wait for a few minutes in the waiting lobby. I nod a thank you as Mabel stormed off. I leant closer to Rachel and whisper "I'm so sorry i know your not my girlfriend and we've never met but i was just trying to piss her off" Rachel chuckled and then asked "is she your girlfriend?"

"Unfortunately not but she will be!" I exclaim, walking away and waving. I found the lobby and plopped down next to Mabel. She seemed mad as heck and i couldn't hold my laughter in anymore. I burst into fits of laughter, earning looks from the other strangers waiting for their appointment, Mabel scoffed "what's so funny?"

"Rachel's not my girlfriend, I'm just messing with ya" i laughed, flicking her forehead. An indecipherable breath released from her lips but i decided to remain silent.

"I wouldn't care anyways" Mabel snorted, turning away from me

I ignored her comment, giving her a tight hug and kissed her forehead "you're the girl i want" she rolled her eyes but stayed in our embrace.

"Keep telling yourself that"

"I know you love me" I teased

"In your dreams Herron" She scoffed sitting up again "And love is a strong word, don't just let it slip so easily my friend" Mabel slapped my arm and faced forward. I nodded and rolled my eyes, slipping my arm around her shoulder...which she brushed off, again.

"Ms Mabel Mora?" A nurse asked. We stood up and followed the lady in "oh and, are you coming with her? I was informed she was able to take someone"

"Um yes, yes she's taking me"

"Right then, come with me you two." She exclaimed, walking into a room with us following behind her

"Mabel, please take a seat there and we're gonna start with the blood test, the results will be back to your in a few days." She explains while grabbing the equipment "oh and, it's going to hurt a bit" Mabel looks petrified by now. I know she mentioned she had a long pile of fears, a predominant one being heights, and a bunch of other ones she's also petrified of, needles must be one of them.

Mabel Azalea Mora

Shit. Needles. I've been afraid of needles—not as much as heights obviously— since forever. Melody was always there at the blood tests we've had and she was always there to comfort me, support me.

Well that all went down the drain

I sat down on the seat while the nurse got the things, Zach opposite me on an angle, he looked at me, trying to study my poker face but Zach being Zach, he can see right through me.

"You'll be alright Mae" he says calmly. I nodded, not wanting to look at him.

"Ok you ready?" The nurse says, holding the needle and now, trying to find my vein, pressing down on my skin (a/n i dont actually know what they do since i dont watch them while they do my blood test lmao so I'm assuming ahah dont come for me pls) she seemed to have found it and as much as i want to shake my head and run out the room, i nodded. My hands were twitching to hold something or someone as Zach seemed to have gotten the hint. Zach grabbed my hand and gave it a light squeeze.

"Changed your mind?"

"S-shut up" I scoffed. I breathed in and looking straight into Zach's eyes, a surging pain shot through my arm. I winced and squeezed Zach's hand "breath Mabel breath" I did as he told but the pain wasn't getting any better.

Breath.

You had to fill up quite a big bag so the process was longer than expected. I feel like I've squeezed all the life out of Zach's hand but he didn't move an inch.

"And done" the nurse said, sticking a cotton bud with some masking tape over it on my arm "your free to go." I let out a breath of relief as Zach helped me out, thanking the nurse. I haven't let go of Zach's hand yet until i was fully out the door, where i collapsed onto the wall.

"Woah there Mae, calm down, it's over" Zach laughed, pulling me back up. I swiftly let go of his hand and Zach shook it a bit, staring at how red his hand is. I rolled my eyes and headed to the office where i was told to go, along with Zach.

"Now can we go?" Her words were blunt, like they always were. There was something so amusing about her tone that always catches my attention.

She's different

There were rarely a tint of enthusiasm in her voice, but key word; rare. There were times when she let go, let the other side of her shine through. It's been uncovered to me before and those were the times were she meant the absolute world to me. We had indifferences, heck, a ton of them.

We persevere

And that's what makes this so special

To me at least