Chapter Twenty: Fish Out Of Water

Start from the beginning

"That new embassy building you built had a pretty human-looking door..."

"That's because Arthur insisted that we make everything as 'close to home' as possible for our guests." Mera bit her lip. "Still didn't look like this though."

"Yeah cars are a little different." Camille sighed. "Hop inside, we can talk a little less publicly."

Mera only now seemed to realise the dozens of eyes that were fixed on her. Some had even whipped their phones out and started recording her. The existence of Atlanteans had recently been revealed to the public, and it sparked an entire network of different conversations. People were scared, but also curious. It was inevitable that someone soaked in sea water and reacting strangely to the surface would attract a lot of attention.

With much hesitation, Mera ducked into the vehicle and slid onto the empty seat. Her gaze flickered to everything within; the gear shift, the speedometer, the dashboard, and the radio. It was by no means similar to the Submarine, but certainly of the same purpose. Transportation. Mera seemed to relax after assessing the lack of danger, and instead turned to the many buttons in front of her. She hit one and music started blaring through the main street. The Atlantean swiftly covered her ears with her hands and squealed like a banshee in confusion.

Camille turned the radio back off and tapped her finger against the wheel as she stared at the incredibly concerned Mera. "What was that?!" She yelled in alarm.

"It's a song. You know...music." Camille answered.

"You call that music." Mera scoffed.

"Come on, dude. Stone Cold Crazy by Queen! It's awesome!" Camille encouraged, turning the volume down before switching it back on and bobbing her head to the guitar.

"Your Queen sings this?" Mera said, almost appalled by the thought. "But it's so loud...and it sounds like a man."

"It is a man." Camille shook her head and decided against trying to explain it to the Atlantean. "Never mind. Can you please shut the door?"

Mera frowned, but attempted to comply by placing a solitary finger on the armrest and slowly pulling it inward. The door barely made a sound and Camille smiled awkwardly at the cautious woman. "Umm...could you maybe do it a little harder? It didn't shut properly."

Mera nodded her understanding, and this time she pushed the door open only to slam it closed so violently that the entire vehicle almost toppled over. It rocked threateningly from side to side, but that was only second to the loud smashing noise that pierced the air as the window's glass shuttered. Camille closed her eyes so tightly that she thought they'd never open again, and when they finally did she was met with a door that was almost completely caved in. Camille blinked with a complete lack of emotion, because quite simply, she didn't know how to possibly react to that.

"Is it suppose to do that?" Mera enquired innocently and Camille finally started feeling the dread weighing on her chest. How was she going to explain this to the chief?

The officer took a few very deep breaths to calm her rattled nerves. "No it's not, but that doesn't matter anymore."

Desperate to get away from the awe-struck eyes of the large crowd Mera had lured, Camille quickly rejoined the wave of traffic creeping down the wide road. Whilst Camille was silently stressing over the now unsalvageable door, Mera sat upright in the leather-bound seat with an expression of complete distaste on her face; eyes narrowed, nose scrunched and lips tugged into a scowl.

"I can't believe you call this music." She stated in revolt.

Camille glared at the woman out of the corner of her eye. "Hey, listen, you're on my turf now. And up here we don't insult Queen...ever. Especially not in my car."