Stranger in the Night

Prologue              

               It was a clear, dark night with no moon in sight, no sound through the darkness except a soft heavenly yet demonic lullaby. A shadow moving through the darkness. The silhouette walked up to a large house. At the door, it set a bundle of red silk with black swirls wrapped around a small baby. After saying an incantation, the silhouette set an envelope on the child, rang the doorbell, then vanished. When the door opened, a couple stepped through the door, their one-year old son peeking out from behind the mother's legs. Seeing nobody in sight they began to close the door until they heard a faint whimper. The lady turned around so fast she could have gotten whiplash and looked towards the ground. Upon seeing the child, she bent down and picked up the infant, and handed the letter to her husband. Shocked at seeing the child, the man slowly took the letter and opened it. After a minute of looking at the child he finally looked down at the letter and began to read to himself. After reading it over and over, he traded with his wife so she could read it.

Letter  

To whomever owns this house,

I already know that you are wolves, so I'll get right to the main point. This little girl is named Aki, she has a twin brother, but where we come from it is dangerous for this child. Her brother is safe and no one knows that they are twins. The safest place was to hide her in a pack of wolves to cover her scent. Until she is 18, she cannot come back. Please take good care of her, and don't let her get mad. I have prepared a letter only for her to read when she turns 18.

Sincerely,

Her mother.

                  As she finished reading, she looked over to her love watching the children's interactions. She shed a single tear. The letter crinkled quietly between her fingers, her feet tapping against the floor as she walked inside to hide it,with her husband in toe, until the time came for the little girl to read that very same letter. They put both in their son's crib as they little ones fell fast asleep, the son hugged his new sister to himself.