Chapter Ten - Conspiracy Theory

Start from the beginning

To look through the book and see detailed explanations of physical traits such as immense strength, one could be persuaded to believe that what the author was saying was true.

If I believed in conspiracy theories, I might would have considered believing it myself.

I sighed before closing the book.

No matter how much I tried to distract myself with fairytales, I couldn't keep my mind from wondering to Cain.

If I was honest with myself, I needed to focus on finding my grandfather for more than just the purpose of finding him. I needed the distraction. Which is why, for the next week, I disregarded the doctor's warnings against cognitive stimulation and I worked on finding him.

I went up to Cain's office every morning before anyone got there and looked through the documents that contained information vital to his recovery. I studied them until I knew them word for word.

This distraction, however, was not a very good one.

I couldn't help but feel extremely disappointed that Cain had disappeared. I hadn't seen him since that night in the kitchen.

I knew this was a good thing. But, there was a part of me—admittedly a large part of me—that wanted to see him.

- - -

Narrative P.O.V.

"You can't stay down here forever."

Jai was standing in the doorway to the small office where Cain had been for the past few days.

Cain brought his work with him in the mornings to the small office before Ella would wake up and he would only return late in the night when he knew she had left.

Sometimes he would return to his office and her scent still lingered in the air, torturing him.

When Cain said nothing in response to Jai's comment, Jai ventured further into the small office and sat down in front of Cain.

"I don't understand why you can't just be a man and deal with it," he said.

Cain looked up from his paper to glare at Jai.

"So you're equating my desire to protect and care for the wellbeing of the love of my life with being a coward?" Cain asked him.

When Jai said nothing, Cain's glance returned to the folder in his hands.

"I don't need to put her in harm's way just to prove my masculinity," Cain said.

Jai crossed his arms against his chest.

"Explain to me exactly why you think that being around her puts her in harm's way," he said.

Cain closed the folder and threw it on the makeshift desk in front of him.

"The urges aren't as frequent when I'm not around her."

"Urges?" Jai asked.

Cain nodded.

"You can't mean that you want to kill her," Jai said incredulously.

"Not kill," Cain said quickly.

Jai leaned forward and put his fingers to his lips in thought.