Chapter 13: Strangers

Start from the beginning

❞Wait til you get your own.❞ Jane shook her head.

Everyone muffled their laughs.

❞What do you want it to be? A little girl or a boy?❞ Sophia asked Blair before she
took a sip of the non-alcoholic champagne.

❞I actually don't know what it is.❞ Blair acknowledged, making everybody gasp. ❞I'm going to be as surprised as everyone in this room.❞ She added with a happy smile.

❞But do you hope a little extra for something?❞ Sophia interjected.

Blair looked down as she thought about her answer. She frowned a little, blinking several times.

❞I don't think that would be so important. As long as the baby is good and healthy, I think Blair will be happy.❞
I couldn't help but answer for Blair.

As soon as I said that, Blair's face brightened up a bit and she looked up.

❞Exactly.❞ Blair confirmed. ❞I don't care, I will love it as much, no matter what it is.❞

There was a short moment of silence, until Sophia spoke again,
❞When are you and James going to share some baby-news with us, Catherine?❞

I slowly put down my glass of champagne, feeling the liquid down my throat as I swallowed hardly. My jaw went slack, I felt my nostrils flare as I took a deep breath. I shut my eyes quickly, not knowing what to answer.

❞Me and James are pretty busy, I don't think we would really have time for a baby.❞ I finally answered.

❞There is no need to rush, there is plenty of time in the future.❞ Ella contributed.

❞You could always hire a nanny, take some time off, you don't need to be around the baby all the time,
if you really want one.❞ Claire suggested flatly.

❞Excuse me.❞ I said, standing up and walking to the bathroom.

I placed my hands on the sink and leaned forward, looking down and shutting my eyes.
Those women have no idea how it is, I thought to myself. Trying for years, only to lose two babies when we did succeed. The ache in my stomach and the feeling of blood running down my legs wasn't the worst, feeling the loss and my heart fracture was. I was never able to feel like a real woman. It hurt as much every time someone asked me about having children. I never went to a doctor about it. I knew I couldn't handle hearing the words, hearing how I'm unable to do something the most women can. I just accepted the truth. I can't have children.

I hit the sink with my hands, shutting my eyes even harder, bewailing because of my biggest wish that couldn't come true. What did I think? I asked myself. Coming to a party like this and avoid baby-talk? I'm a fool! I took another deep breath, slowly opening my eyes and looking up in the mirror in front of me. My eyelids drooped, my eyes glistened and my skin paled. I tried to get myself together and not think about the past.

I splashed some cold water onto my crimsoned face and grabbed my clutch. Powder helped me cover the redness on my face and the puffiness under my eyes. I reapplied my lipstick and I was just done. Just as I wanted to leave the bathroom, the door opened and Blair came in.