Chapter 10: Cold, but not frozen

❞Come on, say something, Enzo.❞ She lightly laughed. ❞Aren't you glad to see me?❞

I didn't know what to say. For the first time in my life I had absolutely no words nor a reaction. My ex-fiancé, the mother of my son, my what-I-thought-was the love of my life stood right in front of me, and I?
I felt numb. She was right there.

I catched myself standing with an opened mouth, still shocked. I zoomed back into reality when Donna took a step forward and almost saw Catherine back there. How do I handle a situation like this? I thought to myself.

❞What? Say something. How's Marco?❞ She asked casually, like she didn't appear from nowhere years and years later. ❞I'd love to stand here and look at you while all these lights reflect in your seductive eyes, but can't we go inside, I'm-❞

❞You have the guts to appear on my doorstep after eight years and ask about my son?❞

I could finally speak. She mentioned Marco and I couldn't just stand there anymore. Rage filled my body and I felt nothing but angry. She decided to appear after eight years, after so many things she has done to me. Used me to get drugs, used my father when I wasn't there, only left me a note, a little piece of paper before disappearing and leaving both me and our son.

❞Enzo, let's talk ab-❞

❞No!❞ I raised my voice, without even thinking of Marco sleeping and Catherine still being inside.

Enzo-❞

❞Don't!❞ I quipped. ❞You used me! You left us! What kind of mother are you, that leaves her fiancé and her newborn son and just disappears? Did you leave us for drugs? It's always been that, hasn't it? Why are you even here?
You want my money, is that what you want?❞

❞No! Please, let's just talk about everything.❞ She expressed before I could continue talking.

She was standing there, looking at me with those green eyes. But the light I saw in her eyes when I first met her wasn't there anymore. For me, her eyes were the most beautiful thing I ever saw. Now, that's in the past.
Her eyes were darker, almost a shade of grey in them.

I realized that I wasn't thinking straight anymore, anger took over me.
I needed to calm down and handle this a better way.

❞Donna, just go. Please. I can't do this right now. Coming here was a bad decision.❞ I acknowledged before trying to close the door. But she stopped me.

❞Please, if not now, we can talk another day. Please, give me that opportunity.❞ She begged, giving me the look she used to, but now it wasn't working.

I didn't have a cold heart. Even though I was angry with her, I was also in pain. The fact that she left us has haunted me for all these years. Thankfully me and Marco were fine. We learned that we didn't need anyone but each other. I could see a hint of regret in her eyes, and I hoped that my gut didn't want to fool me.
My heart got a little cold through the years, but it still wasn't frozen.

❞Just not now. I can't.❞ I replied, ❞You should go now, Donna.❞

Her face lit up as I said her name.