3. Flashback, Twelve Years Old

Again, my father didn't celebrate my birthday this year. In fact, he didn't even try to make an excuse, which hurts that he doesn't care that I'm heartbroken, from him. Ms. WickeeBee is getting more sick by the hour. She's become so sick that she hasn't even been able to leave her bed, but she gave me a spare key and I wake up at 5 AM, every day to go to her house a prepare her breakfast, lunch, and spend the day with her if I don't have school. I make her lunch in the morning because I'm usually in school by lunchtime because we don't get out 'till 3:40, so when I get back I prepare her dinner and I finish my homework. I haven't been eating well recently, I've only been eating lunch and snacks every day. I don't know if it's because I just lose my appetite, or just maybe because I want Ms. WickeeBee to have enough food and be healthy because I use my money to get us food.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

I groaned as I woke up from the alarm, "5:00 AM," my alarm read. I shut it off, as I lazily got up and put some black jeans on with a long-sleeved grey shirt. I grabbed my hoodie and my backpack as I head to the bathroom to wash my face and teeth quickly, so I wouldn't be late to Ms. WickeeBee, nor school.

I walked into the living room, about to leave when I remembered I needed more money for Ms. WickeeBee because I've been using my saved money for her meals. I did have enough money right now, but I'd only be able to give her breakfast and lunch with the money, even if I didn't eat. I saw my dad drinking coffee and reading a newspaper.

"Dad, can I get some money?" I asked him, because I'm not old enough to work, and I don't even have enough time to.

"Why, why do you want to waste the money I make?" he asked with sass.

"I just wanted money so I could go and get Ms. WickeeBee some breakfast..." I said as he shot his head towards me right when I said Ms. WickeeBee.

"She's still alive?" he asked shocked.

"Y-yes, how could you say that? She's going to live forever!" I said loudly so he could get it in his head.

"Young man! You do not raise your voice at me! Respect your father!" He shouted as he put down his things on the table to stand up, raising his hand at me.

"You don't even act like a father " I mumbled as I started to cry and ran out of the house and slammed the door.

While I rode the bus to Ms. WickeeBee's house, many people asked, "Are you okay?" because I was still crying because my father was going to hit me, but I nodded my head towards the caring people who don't even know me.

I heard loud coughing when I reached Ms. WickeeBee's house and I hurried to open the door to see what had happened.

"MS. WICKEEBEE, YOU DON'T DO THAT!" I shouted as I saw her choking herself, I said as I moved her hands as she slowly came back, and I broke down.

"Boy, I didn't want you to waste your time on me, I'm going to die anyway." She said with a croaky voice.

"If you d-d-die, I'll kill myself! What do you not understand by that!" I shouted at her as I continued to cry and cry, shaking as I hugged her fragile body. "Don't leave me, especially on purpose," I said as I fell asleep while holding her in my arms, as I was sitting on the floor.

"Boy, I wanted to die because you're here. You're pathetic. You're crying because your father wanted to hit you? What kind of man is like that? I'm sick because of you, you're always around me, caring about me when I don't want to be cared for by you. I'd be happy if you'd just let me die." Ms. WickeeBee said to me as I got up.