Chapter Twenty-Seven: It's Not Me. It's Definitely You, Babe.

Start from the beginning

"Yeah," I said before locking my phone and grabbing my water bottle again. "We almost kissed."

"What?" The water Jake had been drinking started sputtering out of his mouth, making my eyes widen as what had managed to go in his mouth fell in front of my shoes. I jumped back, glaring at him.

He took a moment, his eyes bewildered with the news and I waved a hand in dismissal. "I said almost. And it's not that big of a deal. Everyone kisses."

"The way you said everyone kisses is as if it's a common fact for the entire world to contract mono," He informed me. "Not everyone kisses, and you know that."

"I kissed you," I muttered.

"While you were drunk off your ass." He added. "You two were sober. If you were drunk, I'd understand, but sober? Most people don't do that."

"Some would," I muttered, crossing my arms. 

Jake shook his head in disbelief. "That's insane. I really didn't think either of you would give in to the flirting I witness almost every damn day. You two have me yelling 'get a room' anytime you're in the dressing room or something."

"We didn't really give into it seeing as he stopped it."

Jake stopped moving, his eyes wide. "Why?"

"I don't know."

"And you haven't asked him why?" He looked taken aback. "Who are you and what have you done with Octavia?"

I groaned, putting a hand to my temple. "I swear you and Sydney are carbon copies of one another."

"Oh, I love Sydney," He gushed. "We have to meet up with her when we go to New York. Wait, she isn't coming to your party?"

"She can't. Tour scheduling messed up our plans." I explained. "I haven't asked him why because he'll probably tell me eventually. I'm not going to push him. We're not like that."

"What are you like then? The two of you?" Jake raised an eyebrow, genuinely curious.

I shrugged. "He hasn't ever made me feel uncomfortable about anything I've spoken to him about-"

"You don't usually get uncomfortable though."

"I know but he doesn't allow it. We tell each other things when we want to. We have boundaries and I respect that. I haven't told him a lot of things; he hasn't told me a lot of things. We're friends and whether those thoughts or events are out in the open, they'll be out in the open when we want them to be."

Jake nodded in understanding. "Makes sense."

"Yeah."

"But you guys act like the almost kiss never happened."

He was right. From that day on, Caleb and I had bounced back to our friendship like nothing had ever occurred even when we were alone. He acted as if the almost kiss never happened. I didn't bother bringing it up as the days passed by but it wasn't necessarily an easy event to forget. 

"I think Caleb might be the greatest actor amongst all of us," I admitted, opening the latest snap from the man.

He had taken another picture in the mirror, his foot sticking out to show the red Nike shoes he was sporting. "Careful," Jake mumbled. "You may start drooling and have an orgasm on the spot."

I sucked my bottom lip in my mouth as Jake looked at the picture, rolling eyes at Jake's words. "He is very attractive without trying." He commented.

"Tell me about it," I mutter before throwing a double-take at Jake. "Um, hello? You have Victor."