Chapter Nine - Whiplash

Start from the beginning

'You're being reckless,' he signed. 'But you're a grown woman, you can do what you want.'

I nodded, agreeing with him on both points.

'Are you closer to finding him?' He asked.

I nodded.

'I think so. Have you heard from Mom and Dad?' I asked him.

He shook his head.

'They're not home, so I'm assuming they're still working things out over there,' he signed.

I nodded.

That was good news and meant that I had plenty of time to work with.

'Let me know when they come home,' I told him. 'If they ask-'

'Tell then that you're with friends in Minnesota,' he signed, cutting me off. 'I know, we've been through this.'

I smiled.

'Just making sure you remembered,' I signed, winking.

He shook his head, still unsure of everything.

'I have to get back to work,' he signed. 'Let me know if I can help with anything.'

I assured him that I would and threw up the sign for 'I love you' before we both ended the video call.

When the call window closed, I was looking at a blank page which was supposed to be a seven-thousand word essay on the pre-operational stages of cognitive development.

It was due in a week and I hadn't started on it.

I rubbed my eyes which burned from staring at the screen for so long.

The curtains were drawn over the windows, leaving the room dark except for the blue glow of the laptop's screen.

I had been lying there for God knows how long, trying to outline the essay. But, every time I closed my eyes to think, I felt Cain's breath on my lips and his nose brushing against mine.

I closed the laptop and sat up on the bed.

Not only was I having a hard time trying to process why he hadn't kissed me, but I was trying to process why he had wanted to in the first place and why the hell I was sleeping in his bedroom.

Cain and I had known each other for less than twenty-four hours when Jai gave me the room. Although there had certainly been an initial attraction between us, I would never have thought Cain would have given up his room for me.

If he really liked me, which I was led to believe he did seeing as I was sleeping in his room, I was confused as to why he passed up the opportunity to kiss me.

It had been two days since that night and I hadn't seen Cain since then.

This was partially because I stayed locked in my room, but even then, he hadn't come to bring me dinner like he had been doing. It was delivered by the same, shy boy who brought me lunch without making a sound.