Chapter 30: It's Time

Start from the beginning

Why was she even coming for me? What had I done to her that she wanted to go as far as coming up with a plan to screw me over? Was it all for some damn money or was it more than I thought?

“What’s on your mind?” Zeke asked. I furrowed my eyebrows together still trying to piece all of my thoughts together.

“I’m still trying to figure out why she would screw me over. What could I have done that was so bad?”

Zeke shrugged his shoulders. “For me it was the money. She came up with a way to make enough money to live off till I died and I was down for that shit.” 

I thought about what he said but why the strip club of all places? Especially since it was the place owned by the man who gave her and I the lifestyle we were both accustomed to. I wasn’t complaining and I never remembered her complaining either. It just didn’t make sense to rob someone who treated you like family.

“But don’t you think it was a coincidence that she went after your father’s business? Why not go after the bunny ranch she working at instead or somewhere else? I mean as far as I knew, Big Poppa was looking out for us. Why bite the hand that feeds you?”

I looked to Zeke and I knew he was holding back something but I had enough surprises to last me a lifetime. “What you think something else going on?” He asked.

I didn’t know what to think.

“I don’t know. I did catch them in her apartment that night you told me everything so I that wouldn’t make much sense.”

“What?” Zeke’s tone changed completely. I looked at him and his looked lost. “You caught who in her apartment?”

“Your Dad. After I kicked you out, I went straight to Nova’s house and-,”

“Wait. Why would you go straight there after I told you how fake she was?”

I shrugged my shoulders. “I dunno. I was in denial. I didn’t want to think that my best friend since middle school really hated my guts. I figured we had too much history for that. She didn’t even let me in which was suspicious, until I saw Big Poppa walk up behind her in nothing but shorts and then I figured out why.”

“You sure that was him?” He asked looking between the road and I. He was trying to be sure that I actually saw his fourty-nine year old - dad fucking his twenty three year-old employee.

“I was pissed but not blind. It was him, he even said my name.”

I watched as he took in this new information with a deep scowl. He gripped the steering wheel tighter to the point where the whites of his knuckles began to show.

“Why didn’t you tell me this before?” He aked through gritted teeth. 

“It just popped up in my mind…you okay?” I asked wearily knowing damn well that waht I told him was completely disturbing, but he chose not to respond.

We pulled up to my house and I climbed out looking at Zeke before making any attmept to close the car door. I was more afraid that he was gonna go and do something stupid,so I invited him in. He didn’t even look at me keeping his eyes ahead before he shook his head no. “Naw, I got something to take care of. I’ll be back later.”

I nodded my head. I shouldn't have expected anything less. I shut the car door just in time for him to peel from the curb, burning rubber.

*******

Zeke