Chapter 25

MaximumCray has created a private chatroom with Lancer01!

"Hey, what're you up to?"

Since the whole reveal of who we really were happened it was weird to text each other. Even if I saw that he was online on either Discord or in game I never wrote anything to him. I didn't see a point, neither did he.

I wasn't fully sure just why there was no point. Our whole current situation was just one fat plethora of pure confusion. So seeing him writing something to me while defeating another player on a player versus player battle, surprised me enough to nearly die.

I cursed as I finally put the other player's HP to zero. My gaming friends were all up to something so I decided to roll on my own. Obviously, playing an MMORPG alone wasn't the jolliest of times so I thought it would be a good idea to earn some money.

Some people who had heard about me, Lancer01 the guy who slays almost everyone who challenges him, stood around me in a circle and cheered in the chat. The place was suddenly surrounded with talking bubbles filled with emojis and text in caps.

I was flattered, of course. But my attention was elsewhere.

"doing some pvps wbu"

It was strange chatting with Dominic now. It was like I was talking with an entirely different person but at the same time not. He was still that proper, piano playing, smart ass boy. However, instead of imagining a fashionable blonde with turtlenecks in front of his expensive PC I now saw a dark chocolate brunette with eyes just as brown and the reflection of the screen in them. He was probably smirking or something.

"So it's true."

"wat"

"People are saying that you're some big shot, I thought they were exaggerating or something."

"so even u heard that"

"Where are you?"

"??? by the market" The window to the chatroom was turned down as I looked around the area. A particular healer in mind. Was he heading over here? He isn't writing anything else so probably.

What does he plan to do when he gets here?

Soon enough his staff came swaying in his hand and he stood in front of me. His avatar wore a permanent smirk or smile, I didn't doubt that that was how he actually looked in real life right now. The image made me want to snort.

I was about to write something to him, ask what he was doing here or around the lines of that. Then an invitation popped up.

MaximumCray would like to have a battle with you.

Accept                        Decline

"dont expect me to go easy on u" I wrote before accepting his invitation. A part of my brain wondered if he was doing this for the fun of it or if he actually thought he could win while being in the healer class. Another part made my heart skip ten beats at once.

I rubbed my index finger on my mouse, noticing that my finger left sweat marks didn't make me feel better about myself. I wasn't stupid, the itch to impress my challenger was there. I wanted to beat him to the pulp, show him what I got.

I wanted him to compliment me.

All cheers in the background was suddenly nonexistent. The only cheer I wanted to hear was Dominic's. Is that weird?

"Ditto." He replied. Confident are we?

The countdown was on my screen like a warning sign, blinking red and white. I checked so that all my attacks were in their place and tensed up when the counter met zero.

To my surprise, Dominic charged right on. I bought him as a strategic, a thinker and a planner. Or maybe he was, and he knew that I would think of him like that and chose to go for the element of surprise. Who knows?

I dodged his attack swiftly and went in for one myself. Right as my sword was going to pierce his avatar he jumped over me, placing his palm on my shoulder and let his robe slide over my head. I blinked as I dashed away from him to put some distance. It was the first time in a while where I felt a small dose of adrenaline rush in me because of a game.

Every single pixel on the screen had my attention as I turned on my heel to face him properly. I was going to start easy, use some of my smaller attacks and then go for the big guns. My gut feeling said that I should call, 'fuck that' on the plan and instead take one of my most powerful ones.

I had few spells as they weren't fitted for my character but I had one that was weak but could paralyse my opponent. I used it, Dominic was literally paralysed for a nanosecond until he used a potion that made all spells appear as air for him. He wasn't affected in the slightest and charged again.

"Shit." I cursed so silently that I wasn't sure anyone could even hear it even if my fan was off and they were right beside my face. Dominic flew towards me and threw one of his daggers, he had no sword or physical shield so on first glance he didn't seem very threatening. Though, now knowing how quick on his feet and how used he was to the controls made me gulp.

I underestimated him because of him being a healer but he was on the same level as me when it came to combat, maybe even higher.

But I wasn't about to back down. He might be more amazing than I would've thought but that doesn't mean I am all talk. Not at all, I do defeat everyone who confronts me with no mercy. My experience on games go on for miles as I have played most of my life.

Dominic might've gotten one hit in but that doesn't mean that he won. I was also quick on my feet, maybe not as fast as my current opponent but fast enough. I wore heavy armour and a big sword so taking me as fast isn't the first view of me.

I made it appear like I was about to attack, all the viewers were silent and so was Dominic. He looked at me and got ready to move to the side. Surprise, surprise, I wasn't going to attack. At least not in the front.

A light breeze made Dominic's hair flutter as I dashed right past his frame. He looked hilariously bewildered when he turned around, it was already too late. I had already stomped and jumped all my way up to a small roof and glided through the air, down to Dominic's head.

The healer only had time to widen his eyes at the sight of a grown man soaring in the sky, the sharp end of the sword going through his body. My most powerful attack took up all my mana, but it was worth it.

The crowd went wild, the players made their avatars dance and I got money running into my bag like someone tipping over a large packet of cereal. I tried to think about all the gold that I had now. The sight should've been angels before my eyes.

Yet, the only thing I wanted to see was Dominic's reaction in the chat. Was he impressed? Pissed? What are his thoughts? Would he give me a compliment?

I stared at his newly revived avatar with my lips between my teeth. My heel who rested on the firm material on my chair jumped up and down.

"Good match." That's it? That's all he has to say? No, 'you were amazing!' or 'we have to do that again some time! I'm so impressed'.

I thought it over for a bit. My mind going through all the possible responses and decided that none of them were really Dominic-like. Good match it is. At least he wasn't angry at me for ruthlessly killing him.

I sighed a heavy sigh that came from the tips of my toes. Don't be selfish, Spencer. Don't expect so much. I thought that was it, that now we would just talk about something else or worse, go separate ways and do something else. Then Dominic wrote in our private chat.

"I'm gonna kick your ass next time ;)" The comment was meant to be playful and funny. Sure, I smiled widely and all that. Yet, the casualness of the sentence was something that made my shoulders relax and my eyes rest. It was like the meaning inside of it was that we were friends and everything was cool and so much more that I can't explain. No need to be awkward kind of. And don't even get me started with that, 'next time'. It made me so happy that my stomach squeezed in all the right ways. I might be overreacting but,

my heart was soaring.