Chapter 20

"Hey slow down, Spence."

Hell no.

I gulped down my third bottle and slammed it down to the fluffy carpet. I was to influenced by the alcohol that I didn't feel any guilt from the nasty stain I created. The drink flew over the brim. Not even Evan's grumble of, "this'll be a pain to wash" made me say a simple sorry.

Instead, I stared at the bottle in my hand. A few droplets had rolled down onto my fingers, making them feel slippery and uncomfortable. If only Evan knew why I was here right now, in his empty house, drinking myself drunk until the room began spinning. I wasn't even old enough to drink.

Though, I have a gut feeling he already kind of knows.

Didn't stop me from taking the fourth bottle.

"Nope, no. That's enough for today." Evan also known as the party pooper came swooping in, taking the alcohol from my grasp. I tried reaching for it as I watched his figure walk away to place it somewhere where I couldn't find it but I just fell down onto the floor.

I grimaced at the stench of dirty socks combined with alcohol and unceremoniously made my way into a sitting position again. Don't ask me why I was on the floor instead of the sofa I was currently leaning on. It was comfy down here, gave me an excuse not to look Evan in the face.

"So-" The Mom of the group began, brushing his palms against each other.

"-Ready to tell me what happened?"

There was a small crack in the walls. Maybe it was just the paint that was getting a little old. I tried focusing on that, imagining Evan not even being here. I tried acting like Evan was just nagging me from my mind or something. It made it easier to talk. Easier to act like he wasn't real and he wouldn't remember this tomorrow.

"Nothing happened."

"Bullshit. You only drink when you're having a mental war with yourself which isn't often since you have control. Most of the time." Meaning; Evan knew it was bad this time.

What he said isn't untrue. Battling my inner thoughts had become a routine, and the more you do it the easier it gets. So when new kinds of thoughts come in, thoughts I don't like or can handle, I lose all my control and turn to alcohol and cigarettes.

It's not the best way to cope, I'm aware but it's not the worst either.

"Can't a man have a drink when he feels like it?" I giggled and threw my arms out. I had a feeling Evan's expression was saying something like, "you're a boy not a man." I didn't look at him so I wasn't sure. I was ready to crash land onto the floor again but then I remembered the smell and just stayed still instead.

The word had a weird cling to it in my head. With a blank expression I raised my chin to look at the ceiling. "Man, guy, boy, me, I..." I chuckled and rubbed my eyes.

"Weird." I mumbled. Evan sighed and crouched beside me. I didn't like the look in his eyes, it was all motherly and caring and shit.

"You're weird. Just spit it out, Spence." He paused to furrow his eyebrows.

"How else am I supposed to help you?" A few of my hairs had decided to go wild and had gone to the other side. Evan pulled at them to flip them correctly onto the other side of my middle part. I leaned away to look at him. That's weird, he usually doesn't get all close and personal like that.

Do I look pathetic or something?

I don't like that.

I stood up abruptly, so suddenly that Evan blinked at me from below before standing up as well. We were about the same height but I may have been standing on my toes a little bit so I could feel how it was to be tall.