Chapter 7

"Send a video of you playing guitar."

"oh"

I craned my neck to look at my guitar sitting all abandoned in the corner of my messy room. I haven't played that thing in months.

"i don't have a video"

"Record something now?"

"its not tuned"

"You can't tune it?"

"i meaaaaan i can"

"Then do it, I wanna hear :)" How the hell can I say no, now?

I pushed the wall behind my desk so my chair squeaked and rolled into the middle of the room. I stalked over to my guitar while taking of my headset. I sat down with the instrument in my lap and strummed the strings with my fingers. Oof, it's really out of tune.

I did my best attempt of tuning the damn thing, but it has been standing there for way to long so it doesn't sound fantastic. Yet, I can't say no to someone called MaximumCray so here I go. I pressed the red button and began playing whatever came to mind.

Please never fall in love again by Ollie MN. It was the last song I learned before... I stopped playing.

I resisted the urge to sing along. If shy old Max ain't letting me hear his voice he isn't going to hear mine. It's not that I'm absolutely terrified of Max hearing or anything. Not at all. I just want to be equal.

Sent.

About two minutes pass before Max writes something again. I might've been staring at the chat bar in wait for him to write anything with a bouncing leg but that's besides the point.

"Please never fall in love again?"

"u know it"

"Yeah, I love that song :)" A fluttery feeling of happiness passes through my chest like a wave. My smile touches my ears as I write out my next reply. We're the same age AND have the same taste in music. Next up we're neighbours. Hah, I wish.

"good to know u have taste"

"HAHA, your playing was great by the way ;)" Thanks bud. I ignore the way my heart jumped.

"stfu man"

"I'm serious. Can you sing?"

"yes and no"

"I'm going to pretend I know what you mean by that."

"singing in my bedroom by myself is a yes but singing in front of anyone else is a no"

"Oh." I thought the conversation would end there. We would move on to another topic and forget I even spoke. Clearly that wouldn't be the case, however.

"Would you sing for me?"

I wanted to joke. Lighten the tension Max had decided to bring with that question. It was a simple question, yet I felt like there was something more... Intense behind it. With a lump in my throat, a knitted stomach and shaky hands I wrote.

"Maybe." But just maybe.

"Spencer, pass the fucking ball you oaf!"

"Huh, what ball?" 

"THE BALL!"

"Oh, shit!" I threw the ball towards Luke like it was on fire. Luke caught it with ease AND managed to give me a stare that could kill while doing it. He gets so competitive at times, I swear.