Part 31- The Truth

Happy New Years! It's been such a long year...

~~~~~

You woke up the next day with Sonic laid close to you. He was still asleep so you didn't move too much. Your eyes were puffy prior to crying yourself to sleep. His weren't as red as yours, maybe because he didn't cry long after you fell asleep...or maybe he got everything out.

You removed his arm from around you, using a small amount of effort. His grip was so dead locked that you thought he was awake and teasing. But this time he was peacefully at rest... Something you've never seen before given that his guard was always up. You squeezed his hand softly before standing up. You felt a little honored.

The apartment was silent. You had work today but you've just sent in an absence email.
As the water on the stove boiled, you sat at the table with your head laying on your arm.
There was still too much to take in. You've always known who was behind the death and burglary of your status but finding him was just as hard as snipping a bomb wire. You had to get through the underlings to get to him, what if your got the wrong underlings? You cut the wrong wire and now you're blown up. Just another person who wants you dead.

Social media was no help on clearing your mind. "Lethal Cafe Shooting: 6 dead including the shooters."  Was all that came up after refreshing a few times.
You scrolled past it.
Sonic was the one who killed the bad guys, you remembered the unknown blood he smeared on you. Realizing it, you were disgusted and quickly got into a long hot shower. Sonic had removed his dirty clothes before he entered the your room. You had to remind yourself before caught bleaching your whole room.
Your thoughts drifted on the topic more. "our family" repeated in your head. It would be best to ask another time.

When you got out the shower, Sonic was just beginning to wake up. He moved a little making you look over. You didn't say anything as his eyes opened and his chest rose and fell. Instead you climbed next to him in which he pulled you closer and fell back asleep.

-

A few hours went by. You had fallen asleep while reading a manhwa. The sun pierced your eyes as your lids slowly opened. There was no warmth radiating onto your body signifying Sonic wasn't there. You breathed deeply before lifting yourself, but something pushed you back down.

"Go back to sleep." The voice of Sonic softly commanded as he reentered the bed. You waited a second before lifting yourself back up.

"I said go back to sleep."

"I have to pee." Your voice was thickly quiet.
You came back to find Sonic in the same spot on his phone. He glanced up when you sat at the edge of the bed with your back toward him.

"Are you hungry?" His voiced was stale, exposing his obvious attempt to make conversation. You laid back staring at the ceiling like you've done many times before.

Nothing could describe how you felt. You were sad, mad, confused overall with a hint of nausea and stress. The truth hit you harder than a Dragon class monster last night. You didn't know where to start thinking first.

"Last night," the sound of your voice made Sonic look up with settled attention. "...you said 'our family'. I need you to tell me everything you meant by that."

You gazed over to see his facial color drained. He put his phone down calmly and shut his eyes.
"After your uncle finished terrorizing your family...he came after mine." He answered, furrowing his brows as he thought further. "Our village borne and raised killers. We had nothing but sacred skills to hold us above the bottom rank...so we were poor."
It didn't surprise you that he got straight to the point, thought you hoped this time he stalled a little.
"Children were on the roof at 9 years old because of the advantages. As a fourteenth birthday gift, I was given the assignment to kill you. You were fourteen as well, the youngest I've ever been given. And I couldn't bring myself to do it. His reasons were so self centered, so meaningless— In my eyes you were innocent. It felt... wrong."