Chapter Thirty One

Start from the beginning

"No, no, no. Right now, you don't need to be sorry, okay?" William cries out, and my heart nearly snaps in two. "I need you to be strong for me. We can get through this. We've done this before, and we can do it again."

Hunter is still standing awkwardly aside, watching both of us with a frown. He's playing with his fingers the same way I was with my own when Ian found my hiding spot.

"Why didn't you tell me this was happening? You know you can trust me. You hardly get viral infections, I should've realised when none of us got sick too." William pauses for a moment to take another worrying breath. "Did something happen to you?"

He was scared to ask. The fear is laced through each word. The question becomes incredibly heavy to answer. Nothing happened to me the way he thinks. Yet, everything happened. Life did.

For a moment, I glance at Hunter, questioning if the only reason I was tipped over the edge again was because of how he'd ran from my apartment, then sent the message.

It wasn't his fault.
It was all my own.

He'd tried messaging me and speaking so many times, but I found a way to avoid it. I already wrapped myself in my old world, and hide away. Either way, I don't think I could forget the agony I felt when he left me.

"I'm not really in the mood to talk right now, Will." He separates himself from hugging me, but stays close by.

A heavy sigh catches both of our attention. Hunter Kings rubs his face painfully while he steps forward. "It's my fault."

I nearly recoil at his voice that cracks, and his effort to take the blame for something that is not his.

William's eyes sharpen on the brown haired boy. "What?" He questions hesitantly with a chest that starts to heave heavily.

I shake my head and shoot a warning glare at Hunter. "Now is not the best time-"

"No." Hunter silences me and walks so he's standing in front of William and I. "I messed up. This is my fault, and I've been trying to fix it, but it's a lot harder than I thought. I'm sorry."

William grits his teeth. He really shouldn't have said anything. My hand latches on William's arm when attempts to stand and burst with rage- thinking the absolute worst.

"Will, please. You can do whatever you want to do later. Just not now." I can't handle this. My hands are already shaking.

I don't want my best friend to hurt Hunter. The cogs are spinning in his head, glazing over all the memories of when I would ignore Hunter or dismiss conversation of him.

William's jaw remains clenched, but he turns his attention back to me, trying his hardest to soften his features.

"Come on," he holds his hand for me to take, "we have to go." My fingers curl around his hand and I stand with shaky legs. Before I can ask where we're going- hoping for him to say home, William looks back over to Hunter. "You're coming with us. If I were you, I'd be leaving the country right now. I don't want you out of my sight or running until I've taken care of her."

William keeps ahold of my hand, and tugs me along through the school until we reach his car. Hunter slowly following us to keep a safe distance, and every few seconds my best friend would check that he is still there.

It would be less painful if William told Hunter to go.

Once we reach his car, the blond opens both the passenger door and the back door. I climb in the back despite his protests. I know he wants me next to him, and Hunter far away.