Fourteen

The luck of the small battle is against me while we easily win. The few dozen of us easily overtake the witches and humans. Their coat of arms from a foreign kingdom across the seas. My mind spins with ideas as Fetch and I sneak along the harbor, both of us using our coats of fur to blend into the shadows.

The bright white flag stands out among the ships, the foreign flag matching the coat of arms I am carrying around my neck. My fur twitches as magic fills the air. The scent of wolfsbane catches my attention, my nose hitting Fetch as we scramble away from the ship.

We rush back to the castle, guards recognizing us instantly, throwing the doors open as we rush up the steps. We give thankful yelps as we dart towards the throne room. We shift back, not losing any momentum, as I toss him the crest to hide in his armor. We calm down as the guards slowly open the doors for us.

My heels echo over the stone as I walk towards the males who are nearly at each other's throat. Remy is defensively beside Red, protecting his Alpha, while the other nobles are nearly clawing at each other.

The air is full of static anger which sends my hair up. The room becomes eerily silent as I slowly head towards them all.

"Shall we call it a day, my dear?" I ask softly, curling against the side of Red. "I think our visitors should have some time to rest."

He smiles softly as he kisses the top of my forehead. "Of course, let us resume this meeting tomorrow with clear minds."

"We need to speak with you," I whisper in his ear as we give waves to the nobles. "It's important."

His expression turns serious as he glances at me, his jaw clenching as if he knew what was going to happen. When they all finally leave, Red, Fetch, Remy and I head towards a more private room.

Red's office already has the curtains open casting a warm glow over the room. Fetch pulls the crest from his armor and sets it on the desk.

"The few invaders we fought today wore that crest. We don't know the kingdom crests like you do," I comment softly.

He leans forward to pick up the golden badge. His eyes scan it, a deep scowl over his lips. Remy and Fetch tense nervously behind me as they sense unease from their Alphas.

"This kingdom has a visitor here," Red begins, eyes dangerously sharp. "Is there something you aren't telling me?"

"They have control over witches and their ship smelled of wolfsbane," Fetch blurts, eyes wide in panic.

"You investigated their ship?" His tone is cold.

"No, we simply followed the scent of the invaders to see where they came from. We smelt wolfsbane and left."

Red pinches the bridge of his nose, a deep sigh escaping him.

Calm him, now.

My body subconsciously moves towards him, fingers brushing his hair from his face. His crown has slightly fallen from the top of his head as he stares at the badge.

"I don't want to go to war, Celeste," Red whispers. "But this ambassador is asking for it. His king is ruthless."

"Remy, Fetch, leave," I command, sending them a warning glare.

They instantly obey, rushing out of the room, the door closing shut behind them. I crouch beside Red, my other hand raising up to turn his head towards me. His emerald eyes are sharp and ruthless. A shudder runs down my spine as my wolf marvels in this new side of our mate.

"Please, help me avoid a war," he begs.

"You're talking to the person who attacked the Huntsman. I'm not a royal advisor, my love. I'm simply a companion."