Nine

The darker haired male walks down the stairs slowly, eyes flickering towards the guards hidden around each corner.

He stops before us, ripping Roland's cloak off of me to reveal my sword and short dress.

The guards prepare to fight as I stand awkwardly between my companions and before my mate's father. My hands are limply by my side, my eyes forward and dominant.

The man hands the cloak to Roland. "You're dismissed, Roland."

"Yes, Sir Lance," Roland bows before heading up the stairs.

Lance glances at me again, scanning me, before his eyes land on mine. A startled gasp escapes him as my silver eyes stare at him.

"A Banished?" He whispers, reaching forward to touch me in disbelief.

I nearly flinch away before seeing the silent fear in Red's eyes. I stand frozen, but my gaze is catching everything around me.

The wrinkles of the sunlight from the large windows. The faint shuffling of guards, the peeking of a girl from the corner of a wall. Her hair is golden and her face looks exhausted. Her blue eyes hold a secret that I want to know.

A gasp nearly escapes me when Sir Lance pokes my cheek.

"Can you shift?" He asks, suddenly excited. "Is it true that your fur is speckled with silver still? Or has it been made back to normal wolf color?"

My head snaps to Red, panic clear in my eyes. "Red!"

He laughs. "Papa, let's head to a more private area to talk."

"My office, then," Lance commands, heading up the stairs.

We rush after him, my mind spinning. He seems like he doesn't hate the Banished. He seemed curious and amazed.

Red and I share a glance, both of us hiding giggles as we follow his father. As Red grabs my hand, we stop before a door.

Sir Lance ushers us into his study, before closing the door. I scan the leather smelling room to see books everywhere along with parchment laying across an old wooden desk. A leather chair sits behind it and a large window brightens the entire room.

Sir Lance grins widely, a smile similar to his son's. His eyes are alight with childlike amusement causing me to feel like a toy for a child.

"Papa, remember that she's just like us," Red comments.

"Yes, yes," he nods before clapping his hands. "Redmond, you don't understand. The last time I was able to speak to a Banished was before your aunt declared the have them all killed."

I flinch at that statement, hearing that I'm fated to the family that caused our massacre. My mind finally registers it, even though I've heard it before.

"What's your name, Banished?"

I blink, glancing at Lance. "Celeste, sir."

"What ranking are you?"

The shy expression on my face transforms into something demonic. My grin turns deadly showing my canines, my eyes glowing molten silver, my voice animalistic. My posture becomes dominate, power radiating off of me, as I stand to my full height and with pride.

The fear in his eyes stirs excitement in me. The need to hunt and kill surfaces as he backs away.

"She won't harm you, papa, I promise. She's kind and nice! She kept me safe from bandits and trolls and witches!"

With each word, Lance's eyes widen and he steps back.  "Redmond! I gave you the most loyal Huntsman for a reason! He was supposed to take you through the forest the safe way!"